My aqua CLear

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feeder_guppy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got an aqua clear filter, I previosly had a penguin mini. And my Aqua clear just cant keep the ammonia level down. I change the water regularly and my tank just reeks. I had no problems at all with my pengiun. Why is this happening?

Jchillin said:
Filter's aren't designed to remove or eliminate ammonia. What is your ammonia level and your other parameters?

What?

I'm not a scientist or an expert, but I thought that filters served three purposes:

1: mechanical filtration
2: chemical filtration (if running charcoal)
3: biological filtration

Now if you replace a filter on an aquarium with a new one it makes sense that you would have a mini cycle until that bacteria builds up in the new filter. Now if your tank is overstocked or your bio-load is up is is more that likely that the existing bacteria in the tank won't be able to process all of the ammonia produced until the new filter catches up. I personally run two filters on my aquarium so that when one goes down the other takes up the slack.

What this person should have done is run both filters together for a week of two and than removed the old filter.

To answer the question (since it was obviously misunderstood), the filter doesn't eliminate the ammonia, the bacteria in the filter does. I apologize for the misunderstanding and thanks for pointing that out.

Jchillin said:
To answer the question (since it was obviously misunderstood), the filter doesn't eliminate the ammonia, the bacteria in the filter does. I apologize for the misunderstanding and thanks for pointing that out.

It's all cool. I was just kind of suprised at your statement which technically is true, it's the bacteria that does the work and even without a filter you can still have a healthy aquarium.

feeder_guppy said:
I have another question, is the foam insert supposed to be a pink?

I'm not sure about pink. The sponges are usually white or yellow new. After about a month or two they will become brown from bacteria and from filtering out particles. Brown is good, I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like between new to brown.

No, the foam block should be slightly off white, a light creamy color. Definitely not pink. After prolonged use they'll take on a light beige shade, moving towards a light brown. They'll last a good year.
You have something wrong though...and you make no mention of seeding the new filter with the old filter media. Sounds like you are in the midst of a cycle due to not running both filters in tandem so the AquaClear was seeded.

Agreed with Malkore. The pink may suggest something else, too...have you medicated your tank recently? What do you feed your fish and how much?

...and additionally, what model of AquaClear are you now running, and what media do you have in it?

1tankneverenuff said:
AquaClear not able to keep up with Penguin? You must be crazy...AC is all I have every used for HOB filters on my tanks ;).

how do u know if you have only used ac's? lol j/k :)

Back
Top Bottom