My canister filter will only run upside down??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lupinedusk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I got a new canister filter (sunsun 3 stage) and it wouldn't prime. Then I tried turning it upside down. Eureka. Turned it back rightside up after a good flow had been established, and flow stops. Also tried laying it on it's side; once it gets beyond a 45 degree angle facing upside down, it stops... Any help would be awesome. Thanks

is the inline pump aimed in the right direction
is the media packed to tight
is there a kink in the line

right direction? this is my first canister filter, what does that mean?
media is just the floss pads that came with it and a bit of carbon
no kinks

Are the hoses hooked up right? Might have them backwards. And the hoses shouldn't hang to much below the top of the canister. Is it a out of the box new? Or used?

I've triple-checked the hoses via the instructions and youtube videos. And they aren't hanging below the filter; they are curled behind the tank loosely. I considered too much slack, but it's for up to 75 gallons and this is only a 55 gallon, shouldn't it have enough oomph as long as there's suction? Out of the box new

There is an in and an out. You need to make sure you have the hoses hooked up right.

Once you do that you have to Prime the canister and get all the air out.

Did you fill it with water before closing it up? That makes it easier to Prime.

To check the direction remove the quick connect. If you can poor water in a hole and it opens that’s the input. If it stays closed then that is the output.

Ok, if direction means input on input valve and output on output, they're labeled, so I've got that right. Plus that's the direction it goes when I turn the canister upside down. It is filled with water now, because like I was saying, I ran it upside down. It does run when the canister is held upside down. I need it to run rightside up

Does it leak at all when it's upside down? Sounds like there's air. You got all the o rings and gaskets on?

It does leak abit upside down. Not much. Seems to come from one of the latches which I suppose would mean the main gasket all the way around? It's brand new, and all the parts are on it. Only thing left in the box is an extension for a deeper tank. Is there something I should do to the seal?

Take that gasket off lather it in Vaseline and put in back on and go around it with alittle more once you get it back on. Then try it. Make sure the tank has enough water in it. I sure you know that. If you still can't get it. Tip it on its side slowly until it starts flowing. It should. You might have to rock it alittle when it's tipped.

Take that gasket off lather it in Vaseline and put in back on and go around it with alittle more once you get it back on. Then try it. Make sure the tank has enough water in it. I sure you know that. If you still can't get it. Tip it on its side slowly until it starts flowing. It should. You might have to rock it alittle when it's tipped.
You got it right, just takes a few times.[emoji6] And when you rock it, rock it up and down while it's tipped.

I have a sun sun and I had to prime it to work. I had a lot of air in the line so I also had to shake the filter to get the air bubbles out. It helped me to fill up the canister first and I had to really pump the button to get the air out and shake it at the same time 25 mins later it worked.also I had so much hose that I cut it to make it shorter and that really helped me alot.

I filled my canister and the hoses with water. I still had a bit of air in the head and had to tilt it to get the last of it out. That minimized the pumping of the priming button.

The only reason it’s working upside down is because the air moved into the body of the canister and the head filled with water.

I've never had to put water in my hoses once I use the primer button they filled up with water them self. They flow coming out the spray bar was slow at first but once the air got out it worked. Do you have the baskets with the filter set up right. I know when I set ,one up the first time it was hardly working. I saw this viedo on U tube from the pond gerue about the right way to set up a canister and I set it up with the filer at the bottom than the bio balls and a filter pad on top of them the next tray had the bio rings with the charcoal and a filter pad than the last tray had a fine filter on it. My canister filter is working at top speed just tested I cleaned the tank and in shocked how much junk was in it.

If your looking at your directions you should have 3 hook up options and always be sure the arrows point the right direction on all 3
first one is on intake pump submerged in the tank
second on the intake about 3/4 the way up
third on the output 3/4 way up
see if your smart you would add ball cocks so the canister dont need to be primed every-time you shut it down to clean but they dont tell you that

Attachments

• ilter.JPG
    ilter.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,548
Last edited:
Thanks Everyone

Dummy that I am, I didn't realize the thread had gained a second page, so I didn't see any of those replies til this evening lol... I shortened my hoses, then opened the canister to check the seal and it started filling (it apparently still had alot of air in it afterall) So I let it fill, created a puddle under my aquarium (oops) and latched it again. Now it is running correctly. Thanks :)

Lupinedusk,
Glad that you got it working. When I put mine together I was ready to pull my hair out! And I also shorten the hose too they were to long. At least you did not flood your house like I did my first time filling it I did not know you had to turn off the little vale were the hoses are. Not only did I fill my canister but I flooded the whole room too till I found out what happened.

Good news! Once you get the hang of it it’s easy. For maintenance If you shut off the quick connect and leave the hoses submerged. Fill the canister before reattaching the hoses, it primes easy!

Good news! Once you get the hang of it it’s easy. For maintenance If you shut off the quick connect and leave the hoses submerged. Fill the canister before reattaching the hoses, it primes easy!
Yes, just make sure you keep on eye on your hoses. When they start getting caked up, gonna want to clean them.

Back
Top Bottom