My Ebo leaks, ARGH!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been having the worst luck with fish equipment. While checking out my tank today, I noticed that there is now water on the inside of my Ebo 150 watt heater. So much for being submersible, I have to try to find another rheater before the fish stores close for the day :(

mail it back to ebo jager at

Ebo-Jager
149 eucalyptus drive
El Segundo, CA 09245

include a nice hand written letter describing how the heater leaking ruined your day ... I'm sure they will promptly send you a new one :)

as long as the glass is not broken and the little button hasn't been removed on the top, they should replace it ... something like a leaking seal could cost them their UL approval... so I'm sure they'd rather fix your heater then risk you writing a letter to the UL!

They certainly would not want to be losing their UL approval over me :) Thanks for the address.

I picked up a Visi-Therm Deluxe after a very spirited drive to the pet store. It was almost $40, once the Ebo gets back to me I will probably keep it in the package and use it as an excuse to start another aquarium in the future :mrgreen:

My Ebo-Jagers are not fully submersible, so that may have something to do with it! I don't know if they do have a fully submersible line or not. My other tanks have Visitherms (I got a 150w from Bigalsonline for $14.99 US, and at my LFS it was $32.00!)

oh, you have some that still have the min and max lines?

I know ebo corrected that with the version I have, looks identical but has no "max" line on it

strangest darn thing, since the instructions for the one that have the max line show diagrams of the whole heater being placed under the water.

When I got the Ebo, nothing on the box directly indicated that it was fully submersible so I was a bit worried about it. I did a quick check around on the net and found a few sources saying the heaters were submerisble, but did not say so on the box due to some import regulations. That sounded OK to me, and almost everything referring to the Ebo TS series of heater says they are submersible (Google for Ebo Jager submersible). I had the heater down in the tank from the first moment it touched water, then never thought twice of it until I saw the condensation inside the heater. If my heater was not meant to be under water, I will consider myself lucky that this never became a real issue and only cost me having to buy another heater.

I was not happy paying so much for the Visi Therm but my only other option was a Penn Plax heater that looked like something I would have built myself for $11. At least with the Visi Therm there should be no question on if it is submersible.

//update:

My Ebo has a min line, but no max line to indicate a stop point for putting the heater under water. The instructions show the top of the heater out of water, but are not clear verbally about what should be done:

http://www.reefgeek.com/images/instructions/ebo-jager/automatic_heater.jpg

The 2 ebo-Jagar 150's I just bought have a max water line near the top and are both labeled with "do not immerse beyond water level" .

They do not have a min water line, but the boxes say they are "the first to implement a low water level safety switch avoiding glass breakage due to thermal shock"
I guess that means the ones I have can somehow sense the water level and shut off if they start to go dry.

I got two ebo 250W heaters fully submersed in my sump. Been there for a year and half.

I was always under the impression the water level line was a point that they suggested that no more than X part of the body was outside the water. Since the thermostat has to be in the water for the heater to work properly.

I have Ebo-Jager TS series 250 Watt and it clearly states on the heater "Do not immerse beyond water level" and lower there is "Water Level" line. So I am not submersing it. It works fine.

Here's a little story about yours truly and an ebo jager.

I don't remember a whole lot from my childhood, but one thing I do remember my 10th birthday party, 22 years ago or so, I had a bunch of kids over for my party. What I wanted the most was an ebo-jager heater because up until then I had always used the junky glass ones.

Well lo and behold I opened a present from my Mom and Dad and there was a beatiful dark green ebo jager in there. I was very excited.

About a half hour after that, I noticed that some intelligent individual had suction cupped my shiny new ebo to the OUTSIDE of one of my little aquariums (yes I had MTS even then) and had PLUGGED IT IN. The suction cup clips were melting and I started crying and stuff.

I should have just slugged the little ******* but I guess I felt that he just didn't know any better so I left him alone.

On the happy side, Mom and dad presented me with a brand new double suction cup clip about a week later (they must have gotten it from ebo jager)

And yes the ebo jager survived, and I used it for years and years, until I finally sold it with some used aquariums.

I still buy them to this day.... THE END

"I have Ebo-Jager TS series 250 Watt and it clearly states on the heater "Do not immerse beyond water level" and lower there is "Water Level" line. So I am not submersing it. It works fine."

I sold my Ebo 150 to a friend for cheap, and he bought another 250 watt since he liked it. The 250 watt had the "Do not blah blah" on it regarding the water level. This led to a fight with the LFS about this the other day. They were like, "There has NEVER been an Ebo that was not fully submersible, ever... You do not have an Ebo" and my friend and I were like, "IT SAYS RIGHT ON THE NEW HEATERS NOT TO STICK IT UNDER WATER" We left after a couple minutes of that.

Man, when i received the TS 250 I was kind of shocked to see how huge that thing was - it was 17" long!!! I could barely fit it into my 55 gallon tank, and I had to tilt it so it'll fit and not touch the gravel. this thing is great! it only comes up for 20-30 sec at a time and not very frequently. The temp is at rock solid 77. I like it.

grimlock3000 said:
I was not happy paying so much for the Visi Therm but my only other option was a Penn Plax heater that looked like something I would have built myself for $11.

I'm happy to shell out for a good heater. The first tank I had I skimped on the heater and always regretted it. It's one of the most important pieces for the wellbeing of the fish.

Get a Titanium Heater (Is it really by Titanium?), then you shouldn't worry about breaking :) But I prefer get some Visi-Therm from Marineland, they do fine, order it off bigalsonline.com or petsolutions.com unless you want to pay triple the prices at your LFS :)

Back
Top Bottom