My Eheim is BS...any recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razmataz1971

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased my set-up mid-October. I noticed that each time I do a PWC, and plug back in my Eheim, the flow seems to slow down more and more. Now today, I do another PWC and the flow almost completely stopped. :x

I figured the hoses were clogged. I unclogged them, plugged it back in, and now the dam thing won't inhale water. I took all the media out of it
(kept the water in a bucket), checked for clogs again, put it all back together and still nothing.

I'm at a loss. Poor fish have to suffer all night without filtration until the LFS opens in the morning. It sucks because this stupid thing was $150.00. Eheim website has crap for info regarding troubleshooting and there wasn't even warranty info on the box or papers. I just sent them an email regarding warranty. Hope they respond.

Thank god for bubble wands and airstones. Please say the fish should be fine?

Eheim is suppose to be a good filter?? Sure it is when it's working. :x

I have the 2215-2217 model. I remember it took almost 3 hours to get it set up when I first got it because it wasn't taking water in. The instructions were horrible. I had a friend help me set it up. It was really late and I got aggrevated so I went to bed and my friend figured it out. I'm dealing with the same issue now (I hope).

How do you syphon the line?

Something is either seriously wrong with your filter, or your operation of it....I have been running these models for years with zero problems.

How (step-by-step) are you going about starting yours?

I have the same Eheim and can attest that it's both a great filter and a royal PIA to set up and maintain. The first thing to check is that nothing is blocking the impeller. I'd bet this is the problem you're having. Once you've gotten to the impeller it can be a little tricky to get back into it's operating position. Not sure how to explain this but there's a stem that has to be pushed back into the motor housing for the filter to function.

Never use a canister filter as your main filtration. It should be used as an extra biological filter. It is way too difficult to be cleaned weekly, as a mechanical filter needs to be. I use Aquaclears on all my tanks & add an Eheim to tanks >50g. I have been using Eheims for over 20 years w/no problems. They are great filters--so are ACs.

I have the 2215 and it has been running great for years. Are the shutoff valves for the hoses in the open position? If one of them is turned perpendicular to the hose itself it will stop your flow. If it is nothing obvious I would call Eheim and have them talk you through it.

Well after giving up last night and going to bed at 2am, I accidentally left the unit plugged in, and I get up and it's running smoothly. It's even got its flow back.

I think i just needed to re-prime it which is a PIA to begin with. I refilled the canister with water and even went as far as filling the hoses up with water. It still was doing anything. There has to be an easier way for next time.

BTW, any other suggestions on additional filtration?

Pufferpunk said:
Never use a canister filter as your main filtration. It should be used as an extra biological filter.

Is this true?? I have been wanting a canister filter as a main for ages, and I will probably get one for christmas. The hob I have is a piece of crap. Am I making a mistake???

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is that cannister filters are among the best all around filtration (for the price), one can buy. There are compartments teired so that you can place not just the bio-mech, but anything else your desire. In other words, a cannister is ideal for bio, chemical, and mechanical filtration. JMO :wink:

Debris from mechanical filtration should be removed weekly. What a PITA to open a cannister every week to do that!

hmmm. I clean mine monthly. I also use sponge prefilters so very little debris gets into the cannister. I clean the prefilter when I notice the flow being diminished. :wink:

Don't those filters need to be refilled with more cartridges? Too much money for me. I just rinse the sponge from my AQ. Been using the same sponge for 10 years.

Puffer...you can make a sponge for a HOB filter. I personaly hate anything other then the Marineland line.

I have heard horror stories about Aqua Clears...I also love a bio-wheel as it allows my tank to be bottomless if I so choose. Bio-wheels also put in a ton more oxygen.

Hmmm, I've been using AC filters for over 25 years. What bad have you heard about them?

Make sure the impeller assembly is put together correctly. There should be two bushings - one on each end of the impeller shaft. (They're the little black rubber things.) When one or both bushings is missing, problems like yours can happen.

e2215.gif

Back
Top Bottom