My electric bill has dramatically increased

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMOOOZZZ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We now have 2 55 gallon tanks and we see a difference in our electric bill. Have 2 Cascade filters does that use up a lot of juice? Would it make more sense to buy a different filter? If so what brand? And does people buy lightly used aquarium filters? Need your help do not want to get rid of our fish in which that's my boyfriends solution, please help me find a better option. Thanks!

Well i would of thought the cost of buying a new filter would be a years worth of electric for your current filters so initially you wouldnt save much but maybe in the long run. Unless you buy a bigger filter that uses less or the same power than 1 of the filters you have and remove the 2 filters on the tank already.

What lights are you using and do you have plants in the tank? Any extras airstones you could do without?

Last edited:
Can I ask what sort of difference you are seeing? I have led's on lights to save cost but I was under the impression electrical cost wasn't too bad.

I did get some comments at start here on this when I set up mine, I reckon it balances out as I'm watching the tank not the tv :) If only the tank came with a remote control...

I have LED lights but I don't keep them on all day I turn it on in the morning and turn them off before leaving to work. And back on again in the evening longest time during evening is 3 hours. My electric bill went from $60 to now $100 -$115 a month.

I have LED lights but I don't keep them on all day I turn it on in the morning and turn them off before leaving to work. And back on again in the evening longest time during evening is 3 hours. My electric bill went from $60 to now $100 -$115 a month.

Yikes, a bit there. Do you have an electricity meter on your fuse box at all? We had an issue with room lights and end up going around switching stuff on and off and trying each to find out which was using most power.

Led lights and filtration doesn't seem enough to double your power bill. What size heaters are you running, and at what temp?
My power bills are triple what they were before I kept fish, but I have several tanks and run uv sterilizers, multiple external filters, powerheads, T5 and led lights, heaters etc. in summer I have to run a portable air conditioner I bought specially to cool the tanks, so I KNOW where all my power is going :(
Are you sure the hike in consumption is ALL aquarium related??

I bet it's the heaters that are the main culbrite. Is it cold where you live. Any air-con, drafts from doors, windows. All these can have a big impact on the time the heater is on.

It really depends on where you live , colder climates yes your rates will go up
and plus the holidays with all them Xmas lights on the tree
my summer months here in Colorado my bill may be $75./$90.
winter months are more $125./$150.
in December with all the lights inside and out it's usually around $200./$225
yes I go insane with lights lol

You can get digital monitors that show you in real time your electricity being used and how much. If you switch everything off, check the monitor then turn your equipment back on, you can work out how much the stuff is costing.
They are usually sold by the electricity company.....

I bet it's the heaters that are the main culprit. Is it cold where you live. Any air-con, drafts from doors, windows. All these can have a big impact on the time the heater is on.

+1 suspect the heaters first.

That's what we paid for every month. :( Got to love the Florida weather.

They are usually sold by the electricity company.....

FPL puts that on for free for us if you want it..never used it. You can also buy "kill a watt" & find out what is drawing up some much energy. Also they have a program call budget billing. They average what you pay in a year & that is what you pay just about every month.

Originally Posted by 54seaweed

That's what we paid for every month. :( Got to love the Florida weather.

that's why I moved to the mountains you don't need a/c running all day/night
that right there would kill your pocket book than what ever you run on top of that
year round,

yes I may see a occasional high bill but most are under $100. except winter months and xmas

I never enjoyed wondering if the electric bill was going to make or break me

now I have natural a/c and don't cost a small fortune

hope you have a great xmas (y)

I want to live were you guys are living. Our electric bill here is never under $200. That is with trying to keep everything unplugged when not in use and using every method we can to lower cost. That doesn't even include heating. We heat with natural gas. We got hit by a tornado last year and after the power company reset poles and run new line, we got hit with a large increase.

That's a big jump. I added a 55g a 20g and a 10g to the current 55g I already had and my Bill went up less than 5 bucks a month. And that's living almost in Michigan where it's single digits now.

Heaters are usually the biggest user or energy in a tank, other than some extreme lights. Many aquarists keep the tank warmer than necessary. There are a large number of "tropical" fish that do quite well at normal room temps without a heater. Advantages to cooler water include higher levels of dissolved oxygen, lower/slower bacteria growth, and fewer instances of disease.

Heaters are usually the biggest user or energy in a tank, other than some extreme lights. Many aquarists keep the tank warmer than necessary. There are a large number of "tropical" fish that do quite well at normal room temps without a heater. Advantages to cooler water include higher levels of dissolved oxygen, lower/slower bacteria growth, and fewer instances of disease.
My heater is on nearly the whole time, every time I look, it's on. I am keeping the temp for my community tank around 27c. What temp would you recommend???

I want to live were you guys are living. Our electric bill here is never under $200. That is with trying to keep everything unplugged when not in use and using every method we can to lower cost. That doesn't even include heating. We heat with natural gas. We got hit by a tornado last year and after the power company reset poles and run new line, we got hit with a large increase.

Same here!!! Ours is never under $250 and this does not include house heat or tank heaters (I don't use them). I don't live in a mansion (small 3bd ranch) and everything is off that needs to be. I blame it on living in suburban area- prices are sky high for everything!

Back
Top Bottom