Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
My filter is making a strange hissing noise

I recently got a 10 gallon tank and bought an Elite Hush power filter. I've had it about three weeks, and it was working fine, but I recently had to lower the water level of my tank so my female snail could lay her eggs. Since I've done that and moved the filter from the middle of the tank to the far left, it's been rather difficult to deal with. I finally got it working again, but it's been making a noise almost between a hiss and a sizzle. I checked on my snails and they seem to be fine, but that sizzling noise goes off every couple of seconds and it's really freaking me out.
Is this normal? If not, how do I fix it?

snailn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Welcome to AA!!!! Have you tried adding some water back in to see if that makes the noise go away? When you took water out you may have put it below its minimum level.

180-gallon acrylic mainly SPS, SWC 1A Cone Skimmer, APEX Neptune Controller, 3x MP40w Vortechs, Tunze 6045, Radiums 250w in Lumenarc Minis, Galaxy Ballast, BRS Dosers
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
If adding water doesn't fix the problem then you may have gotten something stuck in the impeller, if that's the case you could take the impeller out rinse out the chamber and impeller and see if that fixes it.
Sometimes life is best left to it's own devices.
If your not happy at what you're looking at, you're looking at it the wrong way.
My 320g tank build in progress watch at ---> http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f71/320g-build-journey-experiment-128784.html
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
If raising the water level doesn't work, try soaking the impeller in white vinegar. I have a feeling you're just hearing cavitation bubbles.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Thank you guys so much! I will try this as soon as I can.
Edit: 10-19-10 I did what you guys suggested and it worked wonderfully! My snails also seem to be happier anyways, as they like to sit directly under the fall of the filtered water. :]
Thanks again!
snailn00b is offline   Reply With Quote

elite hush, filter, noise, strange

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com