My filter is making a strange hissing noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snailn00b

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently got a 10 gallon tank and bought an Elite Hush power filter. I've had it about three weeks, and it was working fine, but I recently had to lower the water level of my tank so my female snail could lay her eggs. Since I've done that and moved the filter from the middle of the tank to the far left, it's been rather difficult to deal with. I finally got it working again, but it's been making a noise almost between a hiss and a sizzle. I checked on my snails and they seem to be fine, but that sizzling noise goes off every couple of seconds and it's really freaking me out.
Is this normal? If not, how do I fix it?

Welcome to AA!!!! Have you tried adding some water back in to see if that makes the noise go away? When you took water out you may have put it below its minimum level.

If adding water doesn't fix the problem then you may have gotten something stuck in the impeller, if that's the case you could take the impeller out rinse out the chamber and impeller and see if that fixes it.

If raising the water level doesn't work, try soaking the impeller in white vinegar. I have a feeling you're just hearing cavitation bubbles.

Thank you guys so much! I will try this as soon as I can.
----
Edit: 10-19-10 I did what you guys suggested and it worked wonderfully! My snails also seem to be happier anyways, as they like to sit directly under the fall of the filtered water. :]
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom