my FINAL sump thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only thing I would be concerned about is if the power is cut how much extra water will go into the sump while the water isn't being pushed back up. Looks like the PVC is at the top of the containers and there isn't a lot of room for overflow.

You may want to do a test before putting it into action. That way if it does overflow you have the ability to fix it before putting it into action.

The only thing I would be concerned about is if the power is cut how much extra water will go into the sump while the water isn't being pushed back up. Looks like the PVC is at the top of the containers and there isn't a lot of room for overflow.

You may want to do a test before putting it into action. That way if it does overflow you have the ability to fix it before putting it into action.

I did the water test. Water flows like I want it to.

I won't be able to do this test until I get my overflow box, pump, and tubing.

But from what I understand.. since I'm getting a ball valve.. is that if I get a pump that pumps fast enough I can keep the water in the return compartment at a constant low level. This way if the power goes out it would fill up the 3rd container.. I could even leave it half empty and have a couple gallons for drain flow.

Right?

That picture is deceptive. They looked like much smaller containers than ones being able to hold several gallons! If that is the case and you have several gallons of free space then you should be good. A test is the only way to really tell but I'll agree for now! :)

Here's a picture to get perspective of size.

20110612014830.jpg

I want to put a shelf above them so I can store my fish food and test kit and other misc items but I don't know how much clearance I will need for a skimmer?

Also, dang I can't wait to order my overflow box, return pump, plumbing, and skimmer.

I'm used to having spare change to spend on things I want. :p Taxes in april and unexpected hospital bills are eating my funds. :(

Love the two sharks in the middle.

Each skimmer needs a specific height. Don't forget that you need to leave more room than just the physical height though because I think you need to remove the top "cup" with all the skim-mate in it.

About ready to order my stuff. Here's what I have in mind. Please give me your input on anything and everything. If I'm missing anything. And I have a few questions as well.

Here's what I'm looking at:

PF-300 Overflow Box
Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes
p-32885-53001-fish.jpg

Flex hose (connect overflow box to sump bulkhead) with 1" adapters
Flex hose with 1" fixed adapters (both ends) - 4 feet | eBay
http://i5.ebayimg.com/01/i/001/03/e5/0420_12.JPG

10' 3/4" Vinyl tubing (for return line/s)
Aquarium Plumbing: Lee's Vinyl Tubing 3/4" ID
p_11815_32830-i.jpg

3/4" ball valve (for adjusting water flow from return pump.. just in case)
Aquarium Plumbing: Ball Valves from Two Little Fishies
p_821039_13652_1Z.jpg

insert tee connector (for splitting return line into two)
Aquarium Plumbing: Insert Tee Connectors
p_924808_32779-i.jpg

a bunch of these 3/4" hose clamps
Aquarium Plumbing: Plastic Clamps
p_13152_32758-i.jpg

2 x directional u-tube (for water return outlet)
Aquarium Plumbing: Directional U-Tube
p_25768_FS34720PZ.jpg

SeaClone Protein Skimmer
Aquarium Filtration & Water Quality: SeaClone Protein Skimmer
p_517553_FS19628.jpg

And I'm still a little confused on..

FILTER SOCKS:
how would I attach a filter sock to the the bulkhead in my sump picture? (in the bottom left area of the first container)? I could stick a couple inches of PVC in there and just rubber band the filter sock onto it?

RETURN PUMP:
overflow box is rated for 300gph. return line will split in 2 and have about 2-3 feet of head each line. what gph should I look for in a return pump?

SKIMMER:
Does anyone have any experience with the above skimmer? Is it reputed? Will it be good? Will my skimmer need an air pump and airline tubing?

Thank you all in advance for helping and dealing with me :D

and what about the filter socks and pump hehehhe
i really want to order all of this at once

A lot of people done use filter socks because they need to be cleaned frequently (at least once a week). You don't need one if u don't want in. Hard for me to look into the pump on my cell.

Thanks smitty

I do want one though. My hob filter pad gets a lot of grime collected. I clean it once a week so it won't be a big deal to clean the sock.

I think I will just get some socks and rubber band it into the pvc pipe.. Or use a hose clamp. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work like that.

just make sure you stay on top of the filter sock..if it gets plugged up with too much junk it'll likely cuz some unwanted headaches for you

I'll keep an eye on it.
And if I don't like how gunky it gets.. i'll just remove it :p But I don't have a problem with cleaning stuff.

I just ordered everything EXCEPT the skimmer. I figure I'll get that after I get my sump running. Too much at once just overloads my mind. :p

I got a Via Aqua 2300 pump. I read good things about them online and this one pumps 609gph with 7' max head. I think that should well handle my 300gph flow with ~3' head.

A question.. I've read on here and plenty of other places that the filter (the hang on back i have now) has a lot of the beneficial bacteria in it. I won't just want to throw that away, right? I want that bacteria in my sump. Should I just run it for a while with the sump running?

I can't wait :D I'm excited!

Just got all of my parts!
I did some re-siliconing on the sump containers.. put my return hoses together and put it all in place. I siliconed my drain hose to the end of the overflow box (this feels shotty though - 1 inch pvc pipe inside of the bulkhead.. only held together by friction and silicone - is this how it's done? seems like gravity over time would loosen it)

So I'll let it dry for 24 hours and then do some test runs :D

It works, it works! I must've broke a silicone seal though when i set i up inside my stand. I had a small leak.. so I had to drain and I'm about to re-silicone. It was amazing to see it work though :)

Woot! Good for you! At least something is going right. lol

I could never do a DIY thing, major props!

It took me several tries lol... Long awaited success!

I just hope I can get the leak fixed. Going to silicone the crap out of thanks!

Is there a trick to starting the siphon? By trick I mean a way to get all of the air out of it and hopefully not get a mouthful of salt water. Currently using airline tubing that has a little piece on the end that came with the overflow box.

Thats the only way I know of. Thats why i replaced my overflow with a continous siphon one, comes with a small pump and no saltwater in your mouth! LOL

Back
Top Bottom