Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

A lot of people done use filter socks because they need to be cleaned frequently (at least once a week). You don't need one if u don't want in. Hard for me to look into the pump on my cell.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:50 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks smitty

I do want one though. My hob filter pad gets a lot of grime collected. I clean it once a week so it won't be a big deal to clean the sock.

I think I will just get some socks and rubber band it into the pvc pipe.. Or use a hose clamp. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work like that.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:10 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

just make sure you stay on top of the filter sock..if it gets plugged up with too much junk it'll likely cuz some unwanted headaches for you
Old 06-16-2011, 05:10 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll keep an eye on it.
And if I don't like how gunky it gets.. i'll just remove it :P But I don't have a problem with cleaning stuff.

I just ordered everything EXCEPT the skimmer. I figure I'll get that after I get my sump running. Too much at once just overloads my mind. :P

I got a Via Aqua 2300 pump. I read good things about them online and this one pumps 609gph with 7' max head. I think that should well handle my 300gph flow with ~3' head.

A question.. I've read on here and plenty of other places that the filter (the hang on back i have now) has a lot of the beneficial bacteria in it. I won't just want to throw that away, right? I want that bacteria in my sump. Should I just run it for a while with the sump running?

I can't wait I'm excited!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just got all of my parts!
I did some re-siliconing on the sump containers.. put my return hoses together and put it all in place. I siliconed my drain hose to the end of the overflow box (this feels shotty though - 1 inch pvc pipe inside of the bulkhead.. only held together by friction and silicone - is this how it's done? seems like gravity over time would loosen it)

So I'll let it dry for 24 hours and then do some test runs
Old 06-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

It works, it works! I must've broke a silicone seal though when i set i up inside my stand. I had a small leak.. so I had to drain and I'm about to re-silicone. It was amazing to see it work though
Old 06-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Woot! Good for you! At least something is going right. lol

I could never do a DIY thing, major props!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

It took me several tries lol... Long awaited success!

I just hope I can get the leak fixed. Going to silicone the crap out of thanks!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is there a trick to starting the siphon? By trick I mean a way to get all of the air out of it and hopefully not get a mouthful of salt water. Currently using airline tubing that has a little piece on the end that came with the overflow box.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thats the only way I know of. Thats why i replaced my overflow with a continous siphon one, comes with a small pump and no saltwater in your mouth! LOL

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com