Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-24-2011, 11:33 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

What about getting all of the air out of the tube?

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My b/f was sucking the air out and getting saltwater. I had an awful time keeping siphon too, kept loosing it liek a few times a day.

Put the airline tubing in the arc at the top of the j Tube

Old 06-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey guys,

I get it that the sump needs to have enough room to allow water to drain in case the power goes out.

But, what if for some reason the siphon breaks and the pump continues pumping?

Also, this may seem weird and may just be my imagination, but it seems like when I did the power outage test, the water reverse-siphoned from the u-tubes in the water out through the water pump?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You need to make a hole in the return tube righ above or below the water line, that way the tank wont siphon into the sump from that end.

If youre return pump keeps going it will eventually run dry and if you dont have too much water in the sump it shouldnt overflow your tank.

It's a fine balance, I'm always paranoid too. But so far so good. Just gotta get an ATO or get better at refilling the evaporated water cause that will change the dynamic of the sump water levels as well.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:33 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

The biggest concern for the siphon breaking and the pump continuing is if the pump empties the sump and the pump runs dry it will overheat and fail.

I think Carey has some kind of pump on one of her overflows to help keep that from happening (a siphon break) plus it helps keep air out of the system. Is that right Carey?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have the CPR continiuos siphon overflow. It will break siphon if the power goes out, it has a small TOM aqualifter pump that keeps the air outta the overflow.

It took me having trouble with my origianl overflow to go and get this one. I havent had an issue since with loss of siphon. When I shut down the system the sump fills just a little bit from the output hose until it looses siphon from the hole I drilled in it.

Yeah, a return pump can and will overheat if theres no water in that compartment. I have a ball valve connected after my return pump so I can adjust the flow as well.

LOL I feel like a pro on this sump thing. It's alot of try and fail to see what happens.

Just keep asking away scott.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah, so it DOES start siphoning from the return tubes back down into the sump. Hole where? In the directional u-tubes that output water?

So here are my thoughts at the moment... Two possible points of failure..

1) The power goes out or pump breaks. I have tested so that I know where the max water line should be in the return compartment. This allows the water to drain into the sump without flooding.

HOWEVER, the return tube turns into a siphon sucking water from the tank into the sump.. bad. So, I'm hoping this hole i drill (but don't know where yet) will fix it.

2) The siphon breaks. This will pump all of the water in the return compartment, probably about a gallon or two, into the tank. It MIGHT be able to handle it but I am not sure. I guess I will have to see and try not to break my pump lol.

and some other miscellaneous thoughts...

I can't seem to get all of the air out of the overflow box u-tube. There's a bubble always at the top. Is this bad? Is any air bad in there? Perhaps I could put a hole in the very top of that tube and cap it after all the air escapes... hmm. Thoughts?

My heater is too large to fit in my containers. I can fit it in there where it's a couple centimeters away from the walls.. but they are plastic and I'm scared they'll melt. I have a smaller heater, that's rated for 20-30 gallon tanks. Could I swap out my large heater with the small one since it's in a small 4 gallon container (tank is 55g + probably 10g in the sump)?

Also, I'm not quite sure what I want in my middle section. I was thinking sand, rock, and macroalgae. I would need a light for this, yeah? If so, what kind, and can I run it on the timer with my daylights or does it have to be on all of the time?

I think that's about it... so many questions!
Old 06-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well I figured out most of the questions on my own.

I did the power outage test. I marked the sump for my max water line while still allowing for drainage water. Then I moved that line an inch lower just to be safe.

I also did the siphon-breakage test. I drilled holes in the tube return line about a quarter inch below the water line. When it is broken it fills up my tank to the brim, but no overflowage and the reverse siphon is broken by the holes. I now know the maximum fill levels for my tank and sump.. pretty cool stuff.

I drilled a hole in the top of the overflow box u-tube. I put airline tubing in that hole and then connected the other end to my power head. No air in there!

The heater is fine, it doesn't touch the containers so it won't melt them.

So.. useless without pictures! Here's my (almost) final sump and i'm proud of it!

Full sump, in action

The water pouring in the last container and my max fill line marked with tape

The overflow box u-tube with airline tubing in it (there's no air in there, that is silicone on the outside of the tube)

And FTS

Now, to figure out what to put in my middle sump container...
Old 06-27-2011, 11:54 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking great! I love DIY!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Wow scott, excellent job. it looks great! And you figured out all your issues!

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com