Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-29-2011, 01:15 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, I feel accomplished now.

I put 10 lbs of sand and some macro algae in the middle section. I then bought a clamp light and put a 10 watt 10000k compact flourescent bulb in there. That should be good, right? The container is 4g.

Then I hooked it up to my timer so it is lit during the nighttime when the moonlights are on.

So I guess I'll just bust up some LR to get some rock rubble and i'll be done

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, wow. By lowering the overflow box deeper in the water so the water line is almost at the top of it, it increases the flow A LOT. So much so that I'm going to drill a new drain through the compartments to add another 1" pvc pipe to reduce the force of the flow.

Now the flow is really good (probably maxed out that 300gph rating on the overflow box) and my water pump is maxed out too. I'll also probably remove the airline tubing from the overflow box u-tube because this flow pushes the bubbles out of it. Then i'll get rid of that silly little powerhead I have and use one of the return lines to agitate the surface of the water. That, along with the circulation pumps I just got should give great flow.

And I'm going to finish up the refugium today.

Pictures to come!

Old 06-30-2011, 12:17 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Got great flow and reduced force, but now my overflow box is gurgling.... so, more work =/

I'm kind of getting drained.

But here's pictures of my refugium.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:51 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

really hate to keep consecutively posting in my thread, but this may be useful for others with the same problem

i just stuck a piece of airline tubing down the drain
problem solved!
Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

How far down the drain did you put it? I'm having the same problem but can't seem to get rid of all the bubbles. I did put in some airline tubing but not very far.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Addict

I only put it about 2 or 3 inches down inside the pipe in the overflow box.

The site I got the idea from said just to experiment until you get it right.

I also read about durso and gurgle buster pipes which I will try if the airline tubing is only a temporary solution.

Right now the biggest noise is the waterfall going to the box on the inside of the tank. Anyone know how to get rid of that?
Old 06-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only way I know of to help with the noise is to have a shorter fall and/or put the end under the water.

I have the same issue with all the bubbles and it was also recommended to me to put on a T fitting at the last 90 bend down. I may end up just re-building the entire drain end down to the sump to see if it helps.

If I push airline tubing 2-3 inch down into the drain from the top it will be in the water flow, perhaps that is what is needed.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
The only way I know of to help with the noise is to have a shorter fall and/or put the end under the water.
Is this recommended? My snail critters lol. I could fit some egg crate across the top of it and submerge it.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think there is a miss communication. Where is your noise? I thought it was coming from the end in the sump where the water from the tank goes... If it is straight down all the way from the top of the tank then you really can't shorten the fall unless you add in some bends. Mine happens to have bends in it so I can change some things around. I wouldn't recommend dropping your overflow lower.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty

I have the same issue with all the bubbles and it was also recommended to me to put on a T fitting at the last 90 bend down. I may end up just re-building the entire drain end down to the sump to see if it helps.

If I push airline tubing 2-3 inch down into the drain from the top it will be in the water flow, perhaps that is what is needed.
Try putting something flat that will cover the entire top of the overflow box.If that reduces the noise any then go get a piece of glass cut to fit it.It worked on mine,cut the noise way down.

Your build is great,but IMO,you know what they say about opinions,you might won't to revise one thing.
The plastic containers you are using will contract and expand with the weather and pressures inside the containers.I think you will find that you will continue to have problems with leaks and possibly cracks in the containers eventually.
I would suggest replacing them with a an 20 gallon aquarium.You could still cut the sides out of the containers where you have the pipes and insert them in the aquarium to give you your compartments.
I'm sorry and honestly I think that is a concern you should have.

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com