My first SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rjsp1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought my first salt water tank and just before I did I stumbled across this forum and wow what a big help this has been. My experience with SW is about the same as forums......ZERO!!! I've read enough threads til I think I might actually manage to get this thing going but just today I had a hair brain idea so I thought I might start this thread to bounce it off of a few of you pro's and see what you think and because I am sure I will have more questions/problems along the way.

I have a 135g w/ a 55g (I think) sump. From what I can tell.....the way that the sump was built by the people I bought it from the water did trickle over all of the bio balls and in trying to come up with a DIY way to make it work right I thought of this:

It has two 1" returns from the bottom of each back corner. If I split each of them into 3 (I'm thinking 1 1/2") pipes how ever long to fit over all the bio balls with the ends caped on each return so it would look kind of like a fork on the end. Then cut slots about and inch apart on each pipe about halfway though the pipe if I didnt glue it I could turn each pipe to adjust flow to try to balance it across all the balls.

The only problem I could come up with is if the slots plugged and stoped the flow. So I thought I would put a tee at the end of one of the pipes on each with the tee pointing up I think if the slots plug it will just run out of the tee.

I have not check on the cost of all this yet but I dont think it would be much.

So what do you think.....good idea or not so much?

Welcome to the site! I am going to move this to the General Hardware/Equipment section, where you will get a lot of great advice.

thanks

Well that makes sense......kinda new at this......thank you

Why do you want to make it into three? With a sump that big why dont you create a refugium. Hom many sections is in your sump. Mine has three sections. It runs into the refuge area and then over into the bioballs area (soon to be LR area) and then into the return area. Just a suggestion.

well my theory was that by speading it over three pipes on each over flow it would distrubute the water evenly over the balls. I thought I had the plumbing on this project figured out and well....I thought wrong. After talking with the pro at the LFS, I am not going to use the bio balls after all and I am going to try a refugium. My sump has three sections...well... kind of four I guess. First one is where the water drains into (was the bio balls) then into the skimmer section that is divided from the LR area by only about a one inch tall divider then to the return area. Just yesterday I filled it with just water and started the pumps and well.....what a mess!!! I didnt flood anything but nothing seems to be working anything like what I have read it is supose to. It is very loud and I have bubbles everywhere. I tryed putting the balls back in more the try to stop the bubbles than anything else. That helped but it is still just not right. I guess I have a LOT more research to do than I thought I did on all of this plumbing stuff......thanks for the reply melosu58

Back
Top Bottom