Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Guess I'll be dosing calcium when the time comes. It's all good, I'm up for the challenge. lol

I'm heading out to a reefkeeping convention today so maybe I will find something better as far as lighting. hehe...I'm sure I will find quite a bit of stuff.

Just wanna make sure a 4 bulb light will be enough light for the tank. If it is then I will worry about the dosing later.

Thanks X, you are the greatest!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Anyone have any last words? I've got the credit card out and am planning on buying the fishneedit fixture. Here are my points of concern or where i want more input. End result is I want to be able to keep a anemone or a clam as the highest light requiring critters.

It doesn't have individually reflected bulbs

Will the bulbs that come with it generate enough par for all corals?

If so,will swapping out the 10k bulbs with ATI AB specials be enough or do I need to swap out the actinics too?

I would like this to be a serious little coral tank so I want the best for the corals. BUT I can't swing the leds now or in the near future what with the 90g moving forward. So I am hoping that a quad t5 setup will work . I'm always so nervous right before I buy an important piece of gear. lol

Old 10-31-2011, 10:16 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I ordered the fishneedit fixture. Got 2 10k bulbs and 2 actinics with it. I figure I will see how the light is and decide if I want to change bulbs.

I hopefully will get it this week as I ordered it last night, I was fixing to get a clam this friday or saturday.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I guess I'm to late, but good choice to go with t5's Carey. I'm not super happy with my ai sol lights so far, mainly because of growth. The growth of all my corals have slowed considerably. Can't figure out why. Color is another area of complaint for me. The colors of great looking corals keep wanting to go either towards brown or the colors dull. The intensity adjustment seems like a blessing, but it's very hard to find a great setting for both the eye and the corals. The intensity is either to high or to low. I wish I could go back to ati, but I can't justify the $1200 loss to my wife.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Thanks for sharing your experience, I just hear so much that they are the best I was going mostly on that. I'm pretty familiar with t5's anyways so I'll be going back to more that I know. lol I'm just not convinced the led thing is as good as people say, pretty sure that depends on the fixture but for $1200 I would expect ALOT from those lights.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Dan is the only person i have heard a bad review from so far. i know a few people that own them and can't say enough about them. they also put out so much PAR that corals need acclimation, and in many cases bleach and or morph as a result.
i would have to disagree that it was a better choice going with T5's unless it was a money issue.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mr. X, I'm not to argue but here's a thread from rc with some unhappy people as well. I guess my main complaint is with nicely colored sps. Lps seem do do fine.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2070551
Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'm not going to argue either. i'm just stating my experience. thank you for your input.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepseadan
Mr. X, I'm not to argue but here's a thread from rc with some unhappy people as well. I guess my main complaint is with nicely colored sps. Lps seem do do fine.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2070551
Sorry Mr. X, my stupid phone took away the word "trying"....it should have said I'm not trying to argue. I in no way was implying you were. I respect your opinion and always enjoy reading your posts, they usually say it as it should be. But a couple last notes on the ai sols. I am very impressed with the build, the quailty, adjustability and intensity, but after months of experimentation with sps (especially acros), I can't seem to find an intensity that acros prefer. My old 250 watt mh's were amazing. Everything grew and thrived best, even far better than t5's. I would love to say my $1200 investment is the greatest, but so far its been just a battle. I've come to the conclusion that 30% white and 50% blue and 10% royal seems best for acros and keeping most of their colors, but still not even close to mh growth. Maybe I just need more experimentation.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

i just know a few people that have them and love them. they can't say enough about them, especially when it comes to sps.
spideybry, on this site, is one. he's got a tank thread somewhere.
i don't have any experience myself with LED fixtures however. i can say that i got as good or better growth with t5's over halides, so there is more than one way to "skin a cat", for lack of a better term.

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com