Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

My LED / T5 Options Part 2

Ok. I am ready to take the plunge and get some new lights for my 20g rimless coral tank. I am not completely satisfied with the 150w metal halide clip on fixture that i currently have. My corals seem to be stretching towards the light so that can't be good.

I initially wanted to do LED's but the expense and sheer amount of products kinda turned me off. The only unit I am even slightly considering is this

Aqua Illuminations NANO SOL SUPER BLUE Touch Controlled LED System - AquaCave

This is the absolute most I can spend, have to stay under budget this time around. LOL

My questions are with this unit do I need a controller or any other cables? Any other added amount I need to worry about? Does anyone have this unit and how does it work, it says you can touch it to turn it on... And finally on this SOL fixture how much coverage can i get? I know it depends on how high I hang it but I want to be able to have a nem and a clam if I want. The tank is 24" X 12" X 16.5 tall.

The other option is of course T5's. i am very familiar with them and wouldn't hesitate to buy some as long as I can keep the clam and/or a nem. I wanted a 6 lamp fixture but the tank is only 12 inches from front to back and they are all at least 15", even the metal halide fixture i was eying will be too wide.

I know this was long, my bad. Sorry...

Anyone care to comment or help me out?

Thanks in advance guys!

Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cary I think it is time for you to do a diy led. Fixture. This is what I recommend; get your self 6 white 3w LEDs with 40degree optics as the center row, stager the white with 6 blue 3w LEDs with 60 degree optics then around the edge of the fixture use 8 3watt royal blue LEDs with 60 or 80 degree optics. Use dimming drivers incase you wan to add a controller. You can get all these and heat-sinks from rapidleds.com this fixture would be able to keep whatever you wanted with a total of 20 3 watt LEDs. I think your price should be around the $200 ish mark.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i would not DIY. my reasons are:
1. no warranty
2. it's going to be hard to sell if you want to sell it.
3. no where near as attractive as a store bought unit.

you need a controller for any LED unit, so you can adjust the blue and white to make a perfect look. otherwise it's just gonna be on/off.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
i would not DIY. my reasons are:
1. no warranty
2. it's going to be hard to sell if you want to sell it.
3. no where near as attractive as a store bought unit.

you need a controller for any LED unit, so you can adjust the blue and white to make a perfect look. otherwise it's just gonna be on/off.
All that is very true and i agree. Although what I have seen a lot of people do from my local Reece club, is they will take a used fixture such as a nova extreme and use that to make the led fixture. This is what I am going to do for my 48" nova extreme pro 8bulb t5 fixture. 2 of the ballast are out and I figured it would be better to diy an led set up. This is going to be my winter project.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm down to two fixtures that I want to purchase. Either this one
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

OR this one

JBJ 24" TRINITY 4 x 24W High Output T5 Light Fixture - AquaCave

They both are individually reflected but the 1st one has moonlights and is a name brand kinda.

I'm kinda leaning towards the cheaper one so I can add my own bulbs if necessary,

What do you guys think?
Old 10-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

i like the fish need it one you posted on the other thread.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Do you think it will be enough light to grow clams? It's not individually reflected.....
Old 10-30-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

hmm...i'm not sure. if the tank is only 14" deep and you have a sand bed in there, i would think you'll be ok. how to keep the calcium and alk level stable would be a greater concern to me.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:30 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just lots of testing is in my future I guess. lol So far it's been stable and I only want to add a few more corals....
Old 10-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

clams suck up the calcium.

Tags
led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com