Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

FWIW, the 'cool daylight' bulbs from walmart work well for plants. I've been using them for a couple years now. They need replaced about every 10-12 months, but at $2-3 a pop (for the 18"), it's well worth it compared to the $20 'aquarium' bulbs.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewless View Post
So what is a bad ballist ?

Can't give you the technical definition, however it's something in the light that changes the current from what you get out of the outlet to something that the light fixture can use...dumbs down the current to a usable level.

Not sure it's something that you can even replace, however if you take it to a good aquarium or hardware store, they will be the folks to take a peek at it to help ya out.

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Say what about the 2-3$ a pop bulb could you please tell me the exact bulb name so i can find it on walmart !!! Please please please )))))
Old 11-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #14
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I think they're GE branded. They only have one or two brands. They're in a square cardboard tube and they're really cheap. There are two colors. One is labeled for kitchen and bath I think... that's the warm one. The other is labeled 'cool'. That's the one you want.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 11-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

The bulb would fit my 10 gallon top?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewless
Have no idea why but my tank light keeps going out its a 10g top flourecint or how ever you spell it but it just goes out i turn it off then back on and it works for a while then goes out is it the bulb or is it the actual top its self please help
Just buy a new one. It could be going out for multiple reasons,,one being maybe it has water damage
Old 11-27-2011, 06:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

If you get an 18" T8, yes, it will.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thank you for the information but whats the ideal lighting for a planted tank ?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:22 PM   #19
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Ideal? Sufficient. That's totally dependent upon the plants you want to keep. I kept baby tears (HM) under the same bulb I'm suggesting you get and it grew like crazy.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

O.o really i have a thread on walmart plant bulbs o.o i have pictures of the plant and thats under a 5 gallon tank bought from walmart its not a florecint tho its almost a reg light bulb

Tags
light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com