My light keeps going out :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crewless

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have no idea why but my tank light keeps going out its a 10g top flourecint or how ever you spell it but it just goes out i turn it off then back on and it works for a while :( then goes out is it the bulb or is it the actual top its self :( please help

If it's coming on without an issue but going out randomly, my guess is a bad ballast. It could be a bad bulb, but you'd likely see it strobing or a dark end to the bulb if that's the case.

Allright this is a pic of the light on upside down on my bed im surprised it came out so well XD

Attachments

• image-1506509024.jpg
    image-1506509024.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 144
The end of that bulb looks pretty dark. How old is it?

If it's less than one year, I'd buy a cheap bulb to test the fixture. If you have the same issue, my money is on a bad ballast. If not, it was just the bulb.

If the bulb is older than a year, I'd just buy a new good bulb as it's probably just reached the end of its useful life.

Oh yea its wayyyyy old would a 6$ bulb from walmart work?

Yes, it will work in the fixture, but might not be the best spectrum of light. Do you have any plants?

Not yet but i will have why what will happen to it with the new bulb?

A regular fluorescent bulb is a little too blue for plants. If your bulb is that old, go ahead and get a good aquarium bulb.

i'd guess it's the ballast with all the flickering, but getting a cheap bulb first to double check is probably the best start

FWIW, the 'cool daylight' bulbs from walmart work well for plants. I've been using them for a couple years now. They need replaced about every 10-12 months, but at $2-3 a pop (for the 18"), it's well worth it compared to the $20 'aquarium' bulbs.

So what is a bad ballist ?

Can't give you the technical definition, however it's something in the light that changes the current from what you get out of the outlet to something that the light fixture can use...dumbs down the current to a usable level.

Not sure it's something that you can even replace, however if you take it to a good aquarium or hardware store, they will be the folks to take a peek at it to help ya out.

Good luck!

Say what about the 2-3$ a pop bulb could you please tell me the exact bulb name so i can find it on walmart !!! Please please please :))))))

I think they're GE branded. They only have one or two brands. They're in a square cardboard tube and they're really cheap. There are two colors. One is labeled for kitchen and bath I think... that's the warm one. The other is labeled 'cool'. That's the one you want.

Crewless said:
Have no idea why but my tank light keeps going out its a 10g top flourecint or how ever you spell it but it just goes out i turn it off then back on and it works for a while :( then goes out is it the bulb or is it the actual top its self :( please help

Just buy a new one. It could be going out for multiple reasons,,one being maybe it has water damage

Thank you for the information :) but whats the ideal lighting for a planted tank ?

Ideal? Sufficient. That's totally dependent upon the plants you want to keep. I kept baby tears (HM) under the same bulb I'm suggesting you get and it grew like crazy.

o_O really i have a thread on walmart plant bulbs o.o i have pictures of the plant and thats under a 5 gallon tank bought from walmart :) its not a florecint tho its almost a reg light bulb

Back
Top Bottom