My new "Marineland Emperor Filter 200" in very noi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jawzforlife

Aquarium Advice Regular
con_pic2_newpenguin.jpg

http://www.marineland.com/products/consumer/con_penguinfiltersnew.asp

I just bought this filter and the "water noise" is crazy, its coming from the wheel. Water gets turned around the wheel, then falls off wand splashes down. Its kind of hard to explain. The instruction book says its normal and it show go away in 2 days, once the bio-wheel gets fully saturated.

Well is been 1.5 days and its still loud.
Does anybody else have this filter? Will the noise get better?

I have the Penguin 150 and mine did the same thing for a couple of days. Adjusting the water level helped quite a bit until the bio-wheel got through the "break-in" period. Now I don't hear it at all as long as the water level is high enough. HTH!

well I'm on day 3, and its still super loud.

Any idea how long it will take to quiet down?

Check your water level.......if it's a mechanical noise, make sure your impeller housing is fitted correctly in the filter box, and check to be sure nothing is blocking the impeller from rotating. Also, make sure the biowheel is seated correctly.

It'll never go away unless your water level is really high... like almost to the tippy top of the tank (you know, when you get a meniscus near the corners from the water touching the edge ridges). I find when I lose just a 1/4 inch of water that it starts to splash -- and this is after several months of usage.

Now I have an AquaClear 50 and it is amazingly quiet. There is zero noise unless I happen to get a piece of sand stuck in the impeller.

its not mechanical noise or noise from water coming out og the "exit spout" in to a lower water level tank,

its noise from the water falling off the bio-wheel.

I got it on Monday and it is now Saturday. the noise has gone down a little bit, but it is still there.

I have the Emperor 280 and the Emperor 400. There will always be the sound of water flowing. To me it's soothing. After a couple days it did quiet down some, but you will always have the sound of flowing water.

I just talked to the pet store and she said that since I dont have any fish in the tank yet there isnt "stuff" on the bio-wheel. and she said once I add fish, the wheel splashing should quitet down.

And as asked above, I've tried the water level and differant levels and still have the same sounds, be see what i wrote above and that might be my problem.

Yes, the clean biowheel will have a little more splashing effect. Mine is now so full of gunk, lol, it's fairly quiet, but you will never completely get rid of the sound of running water. It'll just quiet down some. My Emperor 400 is a little louder, as it's still fairly clean, and has 2 bio-wheels. But like I said, I like the sound of running water, so to me it's no problem.

when you say there will always be a water sounds, do you mean water being lifted up by the wheel and falling down?

Cuz I also hear the water sound from the motor, and that sound is fine by me, it doesnt bother me.

But the water falling off the wheel is not soothing to me, its driving me nuts, like a dripping faucet.

Mine sounds like a small stream with some rapids, but more quiet. Just to kind of give how it sounds. I don't even hear the impeller in my 280, but do hear it in the 400. I'm sure as the gunk builds up on it, that sound will go away like on my 280. But it's not a dripping sound, but sounds more like rapids in a stream from flowing into the tank.

When the gunk starts to build up, you will also notice more water being held in the biowheel as well, and bubbles now and then. That seems to be what's quieting the bio-wheel down. On my 400 right now, new on a fishless cycled 55G tank, there's no water holding in the bio-wheel, or bubbles, it all runs off. But once your bio-wheel starts turning brown and getting gunk on it, I'm sure you won't have any problems with the sound.

ya, I have alot of bubles right now from the water falling off the wheel.

I guess I just wait a little longer.

I have the Penguin 200 Bio-Wheel and I have the same sounds you are decribing. I installed mine last night and it is quite noisy. The noise I hear is the sound of the water splashing into the tank. It sounds like water splasing into my tank :) I think this is how it is going to sound. I raised my water level as much as I could to reduce the impact of the waterfall and this reduced the noise somewhat, but I think you are going to always have this noise as no amount of gunk on the wheel will stop the waterfall noise.

Try holding your wheel stopped, does the noise go away? or does it just get a little quieter as the flow is reduced?

u2_Crazy said:
Try holding your wheel stopped, does the noise go away? or does it just get a little quieter as the flow is reduced?

If I hold the wheel, the niose stops.

I'll draw a pic so every body knows what I'm talking about...

I'll be right back

okay so here is my pic

it show the water coming under the bio-wheel, the wheel rotating, the water being lefted up by the wheel, then falling off the wheel, and causing a splash, thus making the noise.

biowheel4ws.jpg

Yes, as the gunk builds up, there will be a lot less of that happening. Doesn't do that on my Emperor 280, as it's filled with gunk. But my 400 does, as it's new. :)

Back
Top Bottom