My next filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miyavp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Idk why but I'm always looking forward to buying my next filter, maybe thats because I hate water changes lol. But anyway I was wondering about ro/di aquarium filters? Are there any issues with these? How well do they work? Are they expencive to maintain?

As far as I understand these filters are connected to either your faucet or directly to your main incoming line. They don't actually filter your aquarium only the water you use for water changes. You could set up an automatic water changer that will draw from a storage tank the ro/di filter will fill

I have that under my kitchen sink attached to a separate drinking faucet. I have 2 open top tanks that evaporate very quickly and I use that water to top up. It's very neural though and doesn't have needed minerals and nutrients found in tap water. If you use that for full water changes then the tank would need to be supplemented I believe

Surely water changes are needed to remove nitrate. I wouldnt of thought a new filter would help. Your ammonia and nitrite levels will stay the same therefore the by product, nitrate will stay the same also.

Unless someone correct me, i may learn something.

Surely water changes are needed to remove nitrate. I wouldnt of thought a new filter would help. Your ammonia and nitrite levels will stay the same therefore the by product, nitrate will stay the same also.

Unless someone correct me, i may learn something.

You are correct. Filters don't remove nitrate. Plants do though. I'm not 100% up to speed on this but its said that tanks can be set up where plants and fish sustain each other. But water changes must still be done just for fresh water

Not to say water changes arent necesarry I'm not trying to replace them with some fancy filter but I do belive ro/di filters do remove nitrates.

Not to say water changes arent necesarry I'm not trying to replace them with some fancy filter but I do belive ro/di filters do remove nitrates.

I'm trying to remember but you have very high nitrates in your tap water right? You're lugging it from your friends place? That would be a pain. I put a RO system under our kitchen sink for $150. The problem with that system is the storage tank. You need a very large tank to hold the water that's filtered. These filters don't filter "on demand". They have slow filter rate so the filtered water needs to be stored. I know it's mainly used in saltwater tanks but not so sure about freshwater applications.

I'm trying to remember but you have very high nitrates in your tap water right? You're lugging it from your friends place? That would be a pain. I put a RO system under our kitchen sink for $150. The problem with that system is the storage tank. You need a very large tank to hold the water that's filtered. These filters don't filter "on demand". They have slow filter rate so the filtered water needs to be stored. I know it's mainly used in saltwater tanks but not so sure about freshwater applications.

Well I already have 37 gal jugs. I could just fill those. That'd be easier

Well I already have 37 gal jugs. I could just fill those. That'd be easier

If you go that route if say you'd only need to store enough to do a 50% percent water change. You would slowly introduce the RO water to the tank to acclimate the fish to it

Sure beat lugging jugs or water up stairs. You could always connect to a bathroom faucet if you have one on the floor you tank is on

Back
Top Bottom