Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Angry My penguin bio-wheel 200 filter is not pumping water?

My penguin bio-wheel 200 filter is not pumping water?

I've read this is a common problem but this is driving me insane! It's brand new but when i installed it i read it has to be primed so i filled it up then plugged it in, nothing. The empeller is making a rattling noise. So i tried lowering th water in the tank, nothing. I tryed manually primimng it by letting the empeller spin and adding water to it and at first i thought it was working cause water came flowing but then it would just reverse, all the water went out the intake tube. Can anyone please help me all the filters ive had in the past were self priming. I'm about to throw it agaisnt a wall, i need to begin cycling my tank ASAP.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is the tube that holds the impeller all the way down in the filter?

Old 03-10-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have the same filter on one of my tanks. +1, make sure the intake tube is positioned correctly, and I actually pumped mine up and down a couple of times and that made it work (?). I have no idea why, but you could try it. I have an AC 70 on standby. I figured I'd let the marineland wear out first.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reygan2 View Post
I have the same filter on one of my tanks. +1, make sure the intake tube is positioned correctly, and I actually pumped mine up and down a couple of times and that made it work (?). I have no idea why, but you could try it. I have an AC 70 on standby. I figured I'd let the marineland wear out first.
Yep....air tends to get trapped in there. Mine does it just about every time I have to shut them down for water changes. Just take the intake tube and move it up and down, and push it snugly down inside the pump. It should start up in under a minute. I love my Penguins!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vundercoverdog
My penguin bio-wheel 200 filter is not pumping water?

I've read this is a common problem but this is driving me insane! It's brand new but when i installed it i read it has to be primed so i filled it up then plugged it in, nothing. The empeller is making a rattling noise. So i tried lowering th water in the tank, nothing. I tryed manually primimng it by letting the empeller spin and adding water to it and at first i thought it was working cause water came flowing but then it would just reverse, all the water went out the intake tube. Can anyone please help me all the filters ive had in the past were self priming. I'm about to throw it agaisnt a wall, i need to begin cycling my tank ASAP.
Just lift the tube and then push back down in it.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks to all who responded to the OP. This is exactly the info I needed. Worked like a charm. Thanks so much.

Tags
bio, bio-wheel, eel, filter, penguin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com