My skimmer won't skim!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfound77951

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, I just got a Fission Nano-skimmer (by Current) for my 10 gal FOWLR. I set it up according to the directions (it actually came mostly assembled) but it doesn't do anything. The pump runs, but unless I blow into the air intake, no bubbles. Then yesterday I noticed that water was running out of the top of the skimmer, luckily back into the tank!

I've never dealt with a skimmer before, please help, either with general skimmer tricks or any specific advice on this skimmer.

There is a tube coming out of the bottom of the pump for air intake, although I don't think it's adjustable. If I blow into the tube (or even put a little positive pressure) it produces bubbles.

it sounds like its not getting any air into it to creating the foam fractionation needed to skim.

make sure the hose isn't kinked, and that where it connects, there isn't any plastic left over from the molding process that didn't get cleaned off properly.

austindad,

this is what his looks like
protein_skimmer_current_usa_fission_nano_skimmer.jpg

it looks like all you get is a straight airline into a venturi hole. that power head looks like one on a DIY CO2 reactor someone gave me, and if it is the same, it won't have much suction power to really pull air through.
the CO2 reactor worked because CO2 was being pushed thru the airline, and then grabbed by the impeller.

all I can think of is to try adjusting how much airline is pushed into the pump to see if that helps it pull air in.

You know, I just went along telling myself they had a bak pak. When all else fails, maybe I'll just look at the original thread again. :roll:

Thanks guys, I'll fool around with it and see if I can get it to work. Maybe if I hooked up a small air pump to it? Can you overpressurize these things?

I was hoping someone who actually had one of these would chime in...maybe time for a new post along that idea.

Back
Top Bottom