Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

My Son's Tank Setup

My son wanted to get a Betta and after waiting a few months my wife and I decided to get him started.

We bought him a 3 gallon (360 degree viewing tank) that came with air pump and an undergravel filter system. He also has a 50W heater and some gravel in the bottom. We have cleaned everything, setup the tank and have it merrily bubbling along.

Now after some research I've read that undergravel systems may not be all they are cracked up to be and I'm worried my son's fish may not survive because of this.

Should I buy him a real filter or try our luck with it's current setup?

The water has been treated with Splended Betta complete water conditioner and we have test kits for PH and Ammonia, are we missing anything else?

Thanks for all suggestions and help!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquNewbie
My son wanted to get a Betta and after waiting a few months my wife and I decided to get him started.

We bought him a 3 gallon (360 degree viewing tank) that came with air pump and an undergravel filter system. He also has a 50W heater and some gravel in the bottom. We have cleaned everything, setup the tank and have it merrily bubbling along.

Now after some research I've read that undergravel systems may not be all they are cracked up to be and I'm worried my son's fish may not survive because of this.

The water has been treated with Splended Betta complete water conditioner and we have test kits for PH and Ammonia, are we missing anything else?

Welcome to AA!
Bettas usually prefer a calm waters surface to breathe from so if the filter is creating huge surface agitation I would change it. UGF trap a lot of waste under the gravel. That waste can lead to higher amounts of toxins in the water (not good for your Betta). I suggest a small hang on filter (HOB) with a baffle. Like this
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

You will also need a test for nitrIte and nitrAte. Get liquid test because strips can be highly inaccurate.
Do you know of cycling?
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ium/Page1.html

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumma.of.two View Post
Welcome to AA!
Bettas usually prefer a calm waters surface to breathe from so if the filter is creating huge surface agitation I would change it. UGF trap a lot of waste under the gravel. That waste can lead to higher amounts of toxins in the water (not good for your Betta). I suggest a small hang on filter (HOB) with a baffle. Like this
Step-By-Step Filter Baffle

You will also need a test for nitrIte and nitrAte. Get liquid test because strips can be highly inaccurate.
Do you know of cycling?
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium
Thanks so much for your reply. OK so we got a small low flow filter in addition to his UGF which should definitely help. Yes I've read all there is on cycling and we have liquid tests for both NitrIte and nitrAte as well as PH.

Once the new filter is in the tank I'm going to try and find some Ammonia and start building up the helpful bacteria, then once we have a stable environment we'll be getting his fish. If there's anything else we need to know we'd be glad to hear it.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Anybody know good places to get Ammonia in Canada?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquNewbie View Post

Truthfully, Bettas don't NEED a filter, but it is highly preferred. I agree with Mumma Of Two that a small HOB filter is the best. Have fun with your Betta!

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

Thanks so much for your reply. OK so we got a small low flow filter in addition to his UGF which should definitely help. Yes I've read all there is on cycling and we have liquid tests for both NitrIte and nitrAte as well as PH.

Once the new filter is in the tank I'm going to try and find some Ammonia and start building up the helpful bacteria, then once we have a stable environment we'll be getting his fish. If there's anything else we need to know we'd be glad to hear it.
No problem
Since its just the betta going in the tank you don't need to fishless cycle with 4ppm of ammonia. 1ppm will be more then sufficient to grow enough bacteria to support him.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller
Truthfully, Bettas don't NEED a filter, but it is highly preferred. I agree with Mumma Of Two that a small HOB filter is the best. Have fun with your Betta!
No they don't *need* one BUT without you are looking at water changes every 1-2 days instead of once a week. IMO its much better to just cycle the tank with a filter so you don't have to worry about any ammonia or nitrite harming the fish at all. Even something as simple as a sponge filter will keep the tank cycled. If you choose not to cycle a Betta tank you might as well add a filter because it will cycle whether you want it to or not. If you skip a water change it's not putting the fish on danger. For a few dollars it saves time, water and worry.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
No they don't *need* one BUT without you are looking at water changes every 1-2 days instead of once a week. IMO its much better to just cycle the tank with a filter so you don't have to worry about any ammonia or nitrite harming the fish at all. Even something as simple as a sponge filter will keep the tank cycled. If you choose not to cycle a Betta tank you might as well add a filter because it will cycle whether you want it to or not. If you skip a water change it's not putting the fish on danger. For a few dollars it saves time, water and worry.
Yeah, that's why I said it is highly preferred.

Who say's that you can't have more than one tank? Just get one more... just one...
phoenixkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
No problem
Since its just the betta going in the tank you don't need to fishless cycle with 4ppm of ammonia. 1ppm will be more then sufficient to grow enough bacteria to support him.
Sounds good. He'll certainly be happy to get his fish a little sooner.

On the other hand I'm in the process of getting everything together for a 50 gal tank, going to take a few months to get everything sorted out but it's going to be fun!!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:

Sounds good. He'll certainly be happy to get his fish a little sooner.

On the other hand I'm in the process of getting everything together for a 50 gal tank, going to take a few months to get everything sorted out but it's going to be fun!!!!
Ah! MTS (multiple tank syndrome) strikes again! It's a very contagious disease we've all contracted. Lol!
What fish where you thinking for the 50g. It's a good size for quite a few fish.

Tags
setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com