my tetra air pump is having some problems...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought this air pump about a year ago, it has worked great! But a while ago it would only work for the first few minutes of turning it on then the bubble pressure would go way down (hardly any bubbles at all). I took it apart and I noticed a slot in the black rubber (I don't know what to call it). I will post a picture and maybe someone can tell me if those slots are suppose to be there. Thanks!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110729_140239.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110729_140239.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 144
  • ForumRunner_20110729_140332.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110729_140332.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 166
That one diaphragm looks torn. I'd see if you can find a replacement.

My Tetra air pump did the same thing about a month ago. I was able to find parts at the lfs. Very simple to fix...

kjbuente said:
That one diaphragm looks torn. I'd see if you can find a replacement.

My Tetra air pump did the same thing about a month ago. I was able to find parts at the lfs. Very simple to fix...

I have taken that diaphragm off and I am trying to silicone it. (I bet it only lasts a few minutes) I am going to see if the tetra website has them. Thanks for your help!

You need a new one. Silicone is just going to temporarily hold I'm sure. I'd be willing to bet they are very cheap... and if this is running something important, like a sponge filter, I wouldn't trust it to keep my fish alive without replacing it.

Last edited:
I agree with mfdrookie516, I cost me less than $5 to purchase replacements. I would just start looking for replacements....

mfdrookie516 said:
You need a new one. Silicone is just going to temporarily hold I'm sure. I'd be willing to bet they are very cheap... and if this is running something important, like a sponge filter, I wouldn't trust it to keep my fish alive without replacing it.

I ordered a repair kit for $5 ;)
Thanks!

I got my repair kit in the mail today for the air pump. And let me tell you, this pump works like a dream now! Thank you so much! You guys/gals just saved me $25. Thanks again!

Is that the Whisper 100 blue dome pump? I picked up a used one a while back, replaced the torn diaphragm, and it only held up a short time. After replacing it twice in a couple months I bought an AP300, and now have several of those running my tanks. I have a couple of the older style whisper double outlet air pumps that have worked great for many years, no clue what the problem is with the 100.

toddnbecka said:
Is that the Whisper 100 blue dome pump? I picked up a used one a while back, replaced the torn diaphragm, and it only held up a short time. After replacing it twice in a couple months I bought an AP300, and now have several of those running my tanks. I have a couple of the older style whisper double outlet air pumps that have worked great for many years, no clue what the problem is with the 100.

It is a whisper 60 pump. And it is ok if it only lasts a short time because I wont be using it for very long. I use it on occasion for a QT. That is too bad that they didn't make it with good parts...

It's not the parts, just something about the design that kills one of the diaphragms; it was always the same side that ripped.

Back
Top Bottom