Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

my tetra air pump is having some problems...

I bought this air pump about a year ago, it has worked great! But a while ago it would only work for the first few minutes of turning it on then the bubble pressure would go way down (hardly any bubbles at all). I took it apart and I noticed a slot in the black rubber (I don't know what to call it). I will post a picture and maybe someone can tell me if those slots are suppose to be there. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110729_140239.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	45722   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110729_140332.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	45723  

Old 07-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That one diaphragm looks torn. I'd see if you can find a replacement.

My Tetra air pump did the same thing about a month ago. I was able to find parts at the lfs. Very simple to fix...

Old 07-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbuente
That one diaphragm looks torn. I'd see if you can find a replacement.

My Tetra air pump did the same thing about a month ago. I was able to find parts at the lfs. Very simple to fix...
I have taken that diaphragm off and I am trying to silicone it. (I bet it only lasts a few minutes) I am going to see if the tetra website has them. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You need a new one. Silicone is just going to temporarily hold I'm sure. I'd be willing to bet they are very cheap... and if this is running something important, like a sponge filter, I wouldn't trust it to keep my fish alive without replacing it.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I agree with mfdrookie516, I cost me less than $5 to purchase replacements. I would just start looking for replacements....
Old 07-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
You need a new one. Silicone is just going to temporarily hold I'm sure. I'd be willing to bet they are very cheap... and if this is running something important, like a sponge filter, I wouldn't trust it to keep my fish alive without replacing it.
I ordered a repair kit for $5
Thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got my repair kit in the mail today for the air pump. And let me tell you, this pump works like a dream now! Thank you so much! You guys/gals just saved me $25. Thanks again!
Old 08-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is that the Whisper 100 blue dome pump? I picked up a used one a while back, replaced the torn diaphragm, and it only held up a short time. After replacing it twice in a couple months I bought an AP300, and now have several of those running my tanks. I have a couple of the older style whisper double outlet air pumps that have worked great for many years, no clue what the problem is with the 100.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnbecka
Is that the Whisper 100 blue dome pump? I picked up a used one a while back, replaced the torn diaphragm, and it only held up a short time. After replacing it twice in a couple months I bought an AP300, and now have several of those running my tanks. I have a couple of the older style whisper double outlet air pumps that have worked great for many years, no clue what the problem is with the 100.
It is a whisper 60 pump. And it is ok if it only lasts a short time because I wont be using it for very long. I use it on occasion for a QT. That is too bad that they didn't make it with good parts...
Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not the parts, just something about the design that kills one of the diaphragms; it was always the same side that ripped.

Tags
air, air pump, pump, tetra

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com