MyReef 2.0 My Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShooterRick

Aquarium Advice Freak
MyReef 2.0 is a utility program from Digital Aquatics used to make programming their RKE and RKL controllers easier than using the screen and toggle buttons on their head units.

The best feature of this program is that it is free to all RKL and RKE users. Unless you purchase the net module (119.00$ I believe) for these units you must teather your computer to the system itself through a SID module. The SID module is supplied with all RKE and RKL controllers. One finds that the SIDs bus cable is very short; about 36 inches. Additional bus cables (6 pairs of two wire type) are available at many places like Radio Shack. You will also find that you have to remove the ITemp probe to jack in unless you buy a RJ12 type splitter. Not a big deal but you should be aware of it.

While I am computer literate I am by no means a computer geek and I found the program fairly easy to use to set up my RKL. All of the features needed to program the RKL at the head unit are available on one screen on my notebook and simplifies the process. Graphing of most tank functions are available and are an aid in seeing the stability of the tanks functions like PH, Temp, Cooling fan and heater run times. Support is povided via DAs support web and answeres to questions come within a day usually and sometimes during the work day within hours. The software also allows for multiple tank configuations and for stock inventory and notes. All in all considering it is free it is a great little utility.

A couple things I don't like is the tanks RKL hardware is not available to the software unless you are jacked in. In other words you cannot set up programs at leisure and then connect to the RKL and upload them to the head unit. Also to do firmware updates to modules, each must be connected individually one at a time to your computer. Unplugging each module to do firmware updates is a bit cumbersome. For those not a pro like me firmware updates are factory updates for modules. The updates are free though. At this time I do not believe MyReef 2.0 is compatible for Mac systems.

All in all while not a reason to purchase a DA controller the software is a useful added feature from Digital Aquatics.

Great review. :) I also find the programming very easy and convenient. It's just about idiot proof which is what I needed. LOL

I jacked into the RKL with MyReef 2.0 and set up and calibrated my SL1 and PH probe this morning. This was my thoughts on the whole thing.

First I unplugged the Head unit to jack in and no systems other than the SDI would show up in the software. I then unplugged my ITemp probe from the SL 1 and jacked in there. All systems came up fine at that point. In MyReef I could not find a calibration program so I did it from the head unit and it was reasonably easy. There was, one 7.0 ph and one 10.0 ph calibration solution packets. It was enoeph to get the job done. My next upgrade to the RKL will be another PC4 module to run both a wave maker program, and to get as much of my equipment on the system as possible. That will leave one more module upgrade open for future use if I decide to add another PC4 or the net module.

All in all not difficult.

Back
Top Bottom