mystery equipment - please help identify

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deitta

Aquarium Advice Activist
I received some free stuff from a woman whose man (who was the fish guy) left her.... We did not even know if some of the stuff related to the fish field but what the heck... it was free.
Please help me identify what these are and how to use them!

Attachments

• IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1089.jpg
    IMG_1089.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 72
That first one looks like a tube that you make deionized water. I dont know for sure but that`s what I think.

melosu58 - how would you use it? do you have a brand name that might be similar? what would you need to know more?

That stuff is like little beads in there right? Some kind of water treatment and I cant be sure what.

yep little beads and I can't tell you more since the ends are on so tight I am afraid I would break it to get it open.

The thing at the bottom looks like a brine shrimp hatcher base to me. You cut the bottom off a 2 litre soda bottle, then screw the top of the bottle into the hatcher base. There should be a place in the base to attach an airline tube.

#1 looks like an air dryer for use with a ozone generator.

#2 is a Radio Shack 1.75amp/12Vdc unregulated power supply. :) [Sorry... couldn't resist.] Kinda thinking if #1 is what I think it is, it might be used with the ozone generator? Maybe?

#3... no idea.

The first thing looks like a bacteria cartridge... you filter water threw the tank.. and it supplements more beneficial bacteria towards the tank.. in case you move your tank or drain it..

I was going to say some sort of bacteria "media" like bioballs for the first one.
I guess one question to ask would be was it a FW or SW tank they had?
Actually, does the first one just go back into it's self or are there other tubes or openings?

The purple thingy tube can be removed from either side, so I guess it could be a thru-flow type thing.
The originating household had both salt and fresh water tanks. The salt tanks had corals and anemomes (sp)... so no clue.
How would one go about hooking up this equipment? What would be the benefit? I currently have a 29 gal (4 in sand base, 30 lbs live rock, pistol shrimp, clown, pixie hawk and one damsel, filtration for a 55 gal and a skimmer for up to 60 gal) but my bio load is so low I don't think I need any of this... But hoping to get a 55 gal very soon...
Do I just store this stuff or get rid of on Craigslist to others who are at that level of tank work?

I would not hook it up, if you don't know what it is.

I'm pretty darn sure that thing is an air dryer, and if you hooked it up and flowed water through it, who knows what it'd do to your tank.

#1 looks like an air dryer for use with a ozone generator.

#2 is a Radio Shack 1.75amp/12Vdc unregulated power supply. :) [Sorry... couldn't resist.] Kinda thinking if #1 is what I think it is, it might be used with the ozone generator? Maybe?

#3... no idea.
I agree on all 3. :)

I think the first is a deionizer. I was looking at one today as another water option and the first thing I thought of when I saw it was this picture. :)

The 1st pic, with an airline attached, is an air dryer for an ozone generator. You get more production and longer life out of an ozone generator when you pull dry air thru it. The media is blue when it's new and turns pink as it absorbs moisture. Take the media out, bake it, it will turn blue again and you reuse it.
And this should confirm it.
Red Sea Air Dryer

I think you got them all now. :)

I also moved this to Hardware/Equip

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom