Nano Cube 24g Deluxe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dharris

Aquarium Advice Regular
Was thinking of buying another Nano Cube for a planted tank. My question is this, the CF 2x36w bulbs that come with the system are 50/50 bulbs.

Will these need to be changed out to daylight bulbs?

50/50 bulbs are only half way beneficial for your plants. They won't benefit from the actinic part at all and you will so to speak only have 1x36W.

Yes, you will need to get two daylight bulbs in the 6500-10000K range - sorry.

No problem! Kinda figured the I needed around 6500k instead of the high intensity 10k mixed with actinic. As far as say a fish only tank with silk-plant, the stock lighting (50/50)should be OK you think?

Never tried that. Blue light will actually enhance some of the colors of your fishes you see. I'm just not sure if all that light won't cause exessively algae without the plants, since I always just had a planted tank.

I am not sure why you would bother with spending the money for a Nano Cube if you are not going to plant it. There are cheaper alternatives. I also believe you can get a Nano Cube with "freshwater bulbs" from the start if that is what you are really after.

Also, changing out one of the bulbs for 6700K gives you 2.25wpg, which allows a very nice learning curve for nutrients and CO2. IMO it is always good to mimic Travis's techniques, so let me say that if I recall correctly a quarter or third of his bulbs are actinic for aesthetics, but he has found it also gives very bushy growth, so I am trying actinic in my high light tank and so far love how it looks with 10000K+6700K.

Your current lighting could make a nice low light planted tank, which is arguably easier than a fake planted tank.

Thank you all very much for you help and thoughts. My local guy only has the reef setups in stock. I am making it a planted tank and will be changing out only one of the bulbs as recommended by czcz.

Back
Top Bottom