I run a cascade now , and it is becoming hard to find media for it. So I was thinking to getting something new. Has anyone ever used the National Geographic™ IF Aquarium Filter? I know a one person who uses on and swears by it. SO I was just asking for more points of view ?
I haven't used it or any internal filter. I looked it up and it is an EHEIM filter. Maybe a web search on the same filter that is EHEIM branded will yield more reviews. The one review on the Petsmart site is positive.
Ecco canisters are low end Eheim models without many of the features of their higher end models. They are decent filters if you recognize their limitations and they meet your needs.
1) That the handle levers are fairly fragile and the handles should never be forced or moved to fast when priming. Replacement handle parts are available but that will not help you much short term if it your only filter and you bust one.
2) That they have smaller diameter (1/2") tubing which limit water flow rates.
3) That they do not have an included spray bar and just dump water back into the tank. This can make it harder to see if the canister is getting dirty with decreased flow.
4) That they have manual shutoff valves and leak water slightly when disconnecting the hoses. You can use these manual shutoff valves to limit the flow rate.
5) that they have NO burn out protection, if you run them without water flow for even a short time the head motor will burn out and permanently seize.
6) That they can get dirty fairly quickly due to their smaller physical size.
I have a number of Eccos and use them as secondary filters on tanks. Treat them nice and they do a decent job..................