Need a bit of input, wet/dry filter pad clogging quickly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TT_Vert

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's an eshoppes wd-300cs wet dry system. From the output it goes into one of two chambers which have a thin wool type material which then filters down into the bioballs. THe problem is after a few days the wool pads must clog to the point where the water cannot drain through it quicker than the water is supplied. The water hasn't run over the edge as there is 1" of additional space above the foam pad but the fact that it is clogging bothers me. It seems to be mostly algae in there I'm guessing but is there a way I can resolve this rather than cleaning it ever week? Perhaps a different material that flows better and doesn't clog as easily? I know there is a fine line between flow and filtration. There is about 1" of space I have to occupy if need be. For reference the pads are in the black boxes and the black boxes have holes drilled in the bottom of them.

I changed my wool pad for a coarser pad and that works with the flow better, have a look round your Lfs ,

Can you tell me what you purchased? What do they call it? A filter pad?

Dave

All it say's on the cover is Betta, large filter pad, it's much harder than your normal one, same texture as a pan cleaner if you know what I mean, it's about half an inch thick, 2 in a pack

Last edited:
The other thing Dave, are the holes getting clogged as well or is it just the pad??

thanks is it a thick filter like this or thin like what comes with it originally??

algarde-pond-filter-media-woollen-pad-11x16_1_162_large.jpg

Just the pad. It's almost like it is water logged. The holes and the rest of the filter are as clean as a whistle.

Dave

Thanks much, so about 1" thick? It fit ok in there and flows well? How well does it filter? No backup over the top of the black filter housing?

No it's fine, may need cutting to size, try it and keep an eye on it see how it goes.........

Back
Top Bottom