Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-22-2005, 04:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to ostrichkiller Send a message via MSN to ostrichkiller
need a filter with little to no surface agitation for a 30ga

hey i am looking at starting up a nice planted tank with a DIY Co2 setup and need some kind of filter that will not agitate the surface too much.

also looking at any ideas for setups for ground cover. am thinking of just useing fancy guppies as fish.

ostrichkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
power filters that do NOT have a bio-wheel work pretty well, as long as you keep them fairly full of water. You could also extend the 'ramp' on the return.

Can't comment much about groundcover, without knowing tank size, lighting, etc.

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 04:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Any canister filter would work for you, they usually have a spray bar that you can place below the water line and aim it down. Fluval, Ehiem are 2 big brands but there are many brands, I like Fluval I would think a 204 would be plenty of filter for a 30g.

humpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
I had a Fluval internal recommended to me by a LFS, I now have a Fluval 4 plus in my 46g. Seems to be ok so far, but kinda early since it's only been in there a week. Most of the fish seem to like it so far though. The GW Killie actually spends a fair amount of time under the surface swimming in the currents.

I picked up the 4 plus for $30 @ Big Al's online.
46g planted
2 Bristlenose Plecos; 1 Angel; 3 Rafael Cat;
1 plattys; 6 Tetras (2 black skirt 2 serpae, 2 blueberry); 1 Pictus Cat; 1 clown loach;
2 mollies (1 spotted & 1 black); 1 Zebra Danio; 2 Oto; 1 golden wonder killie; 2 Kuhlii loach; 2 SAE; 1 bumblebee cat; 2 upsidedown cats; 2 golden algae eaters
black udder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to Kasakato
Id use a FilStar XP 1 or 2. They are great filters, and IMO better overall then the Ehems.
Kasakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
a nice HOB that would fit the bill is the tetratec, it also has the heater feature and therefore you would not have a heater visible in the tank.

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote

30 gallon, filter, surface

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com