Need a heater...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baddog671

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an old-school mercury thermometer that I put in my tank because it's the only thing I had at the time being, and I noticed yesterday morning that my water was getting a little on the chilly side. It's only September, so I'll definitely need a heater.

A used one (free) came with the tank, but it doesn't do jack.

I want a nice one, so what do you all think about the "Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 75W"? Found one new for $40. Made in Europe, not China.
[youtube]pSFMPkmYZpU[/youtube]

They are made in Poland. I have 3 and I absolutely LOVE them! They are spot on accurate. They don't fluctuate all over the place like some cheap heaters do. They have a 3 year warranty so save your receipt and the box. I highly recommend these heaters and will probably be replacing all my heaters with the Cobalt digitals.

That's all I needed to hear, I'm sold! Can't stand buying Chinese junk that breaks within a few uses. I'd pay 100$ if I knew the quality was legit and would last! 40$ is all the better :)

I have not used them personally, but I have heard good things about them.

Just bought one, will update in a few days with my thoughts on the piece.

Cool, keep us updated. Their stuff is pretty new compared to the bigger brands, and there is less info out there about it. Hope you like it. :)

That's expensive for a 75W no? I find that the marineland and Fluvals work just fine and aren't that expensive

That depends what you deem expensive. There are 8$ ones on eBay. I have disposable income, what is 40$...

That depends what you deem expensive. There are 8$ ones on eBay. I have disposable income, what is 40$...

I'm not talkin the Chinese garbage I'm talking quality like Fluval and Marineland as I stated earlier. And not sure if that was sarcasm but most of us don't have expendable income. If you can blow $40 on a 75w heater all the power to you but I think most of us are less than concerned with how well off you are.

I'm not talkin the Chinese garbage I'm talking quality like Fluval and Marineland as I stated earlier. And not sure if that was sarcasm but most of us don't have expendable income. If you can blow $40 on a 75w heater all the power to you but I think most of us are less than concerned with how well off you are.

Sorry, I kept my reply short and I can see where you would think I was coming off as pompous.

What I meant was that I know there are many younger members on here to which budgets are critical because of being too young to work. I'm rich, but I make enough to cover the bills and have some change left over, so I don't mind investing it into my new hobby. I could give you many worse choices I've made to spend 40$ on...

I didn't check into Fluval or Marineland, but I will now even though I've already made the purchase. Just to see the competition
:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I kept my reply short and I can see where you would think I was coming off as pompous.

What I meant was that I know there are many younger members on here to which budgets are critical because of being too young to work. I'm not rich, but I make enough to cover the bills and have some change left over, so I don't mind investing it into my new hobby. I could give you many worse choices I've made to spend 40$ on...

I didn't check into Fluval or Marineland, but I will now even though I've already made the purchase. Just to see the competition
:popcorn:

Np, and I'm sorry for making an assumption. It seems the "arrogant" attitude is surfacing too much around here and I thought it was possible you were contributing lol. No worries though and thanks for that reply. My budget is based on how much my gf yells at me for spending lol but yeah that seemed pricey to me that all

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people just have a bigger budget for aquarium equipment than others. Either approach can be successful. :)

I don't think I'll bother buying another Marineland heater. I've had several Visi Therms just stop working and one that stuck on and cooked my fish. I thought the old Stealths were ok but I didn't like the lack of on/off indicator light. The Stealth Pros were recalled because a few of them blew up in people's tanks. Seems the newer models are made in China (the older Stealths were made in Italy). According to this, they went ahead and recalled the older Stealths too. CPSC - Aquarium Heaters Recalled by United Pet Group Due to Fire and Laceration Hazards

I could give you many worse choices I've made to spend 40$ on...
Tell me about it... lol.

Last edited:
Some people just have a bigger budget for aquarium equipment than others. Either approach can be successful. :)

I don't think I'll bother buying another Marineland heater. I've had several Visi Therms just stop working and one that stuck on and cooked my fish. I thought the old Stealths were ok but I didn't like the lack of on/off indicator light. The Stealth Pros were recalled because a few of them blew up in people's tanks. Seems the newer models are made in China (the older Stealths were made in Italy). According to this, they went ahead and recalled the older Stealths too. CPSC - Aquarium Heaters Recalled by United Pet Group Due to Fire and Laceration Hazards

Tell me about it... lol.

Sorry, I was mistaken about the marinelands. They are indeed garbage. What I meant were the Aqueon heaters. Aqueon and fluval have done me right

I've never used any Aqueon heaters but might consider them if I needed to buy any. I'm pretty partial to Ebo Jager. I've used probably 50 of them and haven't had any problems.

I have an Aqueon 200w that came with the 55 set up. It's been pretty reliable coming up on 2 yrs of use.

Lol, if you look back at my #11 post, Mama changed my words from "I'm not rich" to "I'm rich"...

Aqueon Pro 100w looks nice, especially for 27$

Lol, if you look back at my #11 post, Mama changed my words from "I'm not rich" to "I'm rich"...

Aqueon Pro 100w looks nice, especially for 27$

Yeah great heater I have one. I was just at the store today and found a 300W fluval for $37

Back
Top Bottom