Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 166
Need a heater...

I have an old-school mercury thermometer that I put in my tank because it's the only thing I had at the time being, and I noticed yesterday morning that my water was getting a little on the chilly side. It's only September, so I'll definitely need a heater.

A used one (free) came with the tank, but it doesn't do jack.

I want a nice one, so what do you all think about the "Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 75W"? Found one new for $40. Made in Europe, not China.
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
__________________

__________________
Baddog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Chicago, IN
Posts: 4,856
They are made in Poland. I have 3 and I absolutely LOVE them! They are spot on accurate. They don't fluctuate all over the place like some cheap heaters do. They have a 3 year warranty so save your receipt and the box. I highly recommend these heaters and will probably be replacing all my heaters with the Cobalt digitals.
__________________

__________________

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 166
That's all I needed to hear, I'm sold! Can't stand buying Chinese junk that breaks within a few uses. I'd pay 100$ if I knew the quality was legit and would last! 40$ is all the better
__________________
Baddog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
San Raphael Catfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Spokane
Posts: 389
I will have you check into those.
__________________
55 Gallon, DIY Live Rock, 2 Taotronics 130w LEDs, CPR HOB skimmer and refugium, 525 GPH SunSun 5-stage Canister with UV Sterilizer using Chemi-pure Elite, and Two Fishes GFO reactor and 3 800 GPH powerheads. <><
San Raphael Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
severum mama's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: GA
Posts: 10,297
I have not used them personally, but I have heard good things about them.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 166
Just bought one, will update in a few days with my thoughts on the piece.
__________________
Baddog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
severum mama's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: GA
Posts: 10,297
Cool, keep us updated. Their stuff is pretty new compared to the bigger brands, and there is less info out there about it. Hope you like it.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
That's expensive for a 75W no? I find that the marineland and Fluvals work just fine and aren't that expensive
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 166
That depends what you deem expensive. There are 8$ ones on eBay. I have disposable income, what is 40$...
__________________
Baddog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddog671 View Post
That depends what you deem expensive. There are 8$ ones on eBay. I have disposable income, what is 40$...
I'm not talkin the Chinese garbage I'm talking quality like Fluval and Marineland as I stated earlier. And not sure if that was sarcasm but most of us don't have expendable income. If you can blow $40 on a 75w heater all the power to you but I think most of us are less than concerned with how well off you are.
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post
I'm not talkin the Chinese garbage I'm talking quality like Fluval and Marineland as I stated earlier. And not sure if that was sarcasm but most of us don't have expendable income. If you can blow $40 on a 75w heater all the power to you but I think most of us are less than concerned with how well off you are.
Sorry, I kept my reply short and I can see where you would think I was coming off as pompous.

What I meant was that I know there are many younger members on here to which budgets are critical because of being too young to work. I'm rich, but I make enough to cover the bills and have some change left over, so I don't mind investing it into my new hobby. I could give you many worse choices I've made to spend 40$ on...

I didn't check into Fluval or Marineland, but I will now even though I've already made the purchase. Just to see the competition
__________________
Baddog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddog671 View Post

Sorry, I kept my reply short and I can see where you would think I was coming off as pompous.

What I meant was that I know there are many younger members on here to which budgets are critical because of being too young to work. I'm not rich, but I make enough to cover the bills and have some change left over, so I don't mind investing it into my new hobby. I could give you many worse choices I've made to spend 40$ on...

I didn't check into Fluval or Marineland, but I will now even though I've already made the purchase. Just to see the competition
Np, and I'm sorry for making an assumption. It seems the "arrogant" attitude is surfacing too much around here and I thought it was possible you were contributing lol. No worries though and thanks for that reply. My budget is based on how much my gf yells at me for spending lol but yeah that seemed pricey to me that all
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
severum mama's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: GA
Posts: 10,297
Some people just have a bigger budget for aquarium equipment than others. Either approach can be successful.

I don't think I'll bother buying another Marineland heater. I've had several Visi Therms just stop working and one that stuck on and cooked my fish. I thought the old Stealths were ok but I didn't like the lack of on/off indicator light. The Stealth Pros were recalled because a few of them blew up in people's tanks. Seems the newer models are made in China (the older Stealths were made in Italy). According to this, they went ahead and recalled the older Stealths too. CPSC - Aquarium Heaters Recalled by United Pet Group Due to Fire and Laceration Hazards



Quote:
I could give you many worse choices I've made to spend 40$ on...
Tell me about it... lol.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
jwh0818's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Harlingen, TX
Posts: 5,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshenanagins View Post
My budget is based on how much my gf yells at me for spending lol
Best quote ever^^^^^^^^^
__________________
Fluffy's History!
jwh0818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
Some people just have a bigger budget for aquarium equipment than others. Either approach can be successful.

I don't think I'll bother buying another Marineland heater. I've had several Visi Therms just stop working and one that stuck on and cooked my fish. I thought the old Stealths were ok but I didn't like the lack of on/off indicator light. The Stealth Pros were recalled because a few of them blew up in people's tanks. Seems the newer models are made in China (the older Stealths were made in Italy). According to this, they went ahead and recalled the older Stealths too. CPSC - Aquarium Heaters Recalled by United Pet Group Due to Fire and Laceration Hazards

Tell me about it... lol.
Sorry, I was mistaken about the marinelands. They are indeed garbage. What I meant were the Aqueon heaters. Aqueon and fluval have done me right
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
severum mama's Avatar


 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: GA
Posts: 10,297
I've never used any Aqueon heaters but might consider them if I needed to buy any. I'm pretty partial to Ebo Jager. I've used probably 50 of them and haven't had any problems.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Darkseid76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 625
I have an Aqueon 200w that came with the 55 set up. It's been pretty reliable coming up on 2 yrs of use.
__________________
Darkseid76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
I've never used any Aqueon heaters but might consider them if I needed to buy any. I'm pretty partial to Ebo Jager. I've used probably 50 of them and haven't had any problems.
Yeah heard those are good too
__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 166
Lol, if you look back at my #11 post, Mama changed my words from "I'm not rich" to "I'm rich"...

Aqueon Pro 100w looks nice, especially for 27$
__________________
Baddog671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bshenanagins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddog671 View Post
Lol, if you look back at my #11 post, Mama changed my words from "I'm not rich" to "I'm rich"...

Aqueon Pro 100w looks nice, especially for 27$
Yeah great heater I have one. I was just at the store today and found a 300W fluval for $37
__________________

__________________
bshenanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ate, eat, eater, heat, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×