need a new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

georgetheplec

Aquarium Advice Regular
Amazon.com: Tetra 26313 Whisper EX 70 Filter, 45-70-Gallon: Pet Supplies
this is what we have, til today, it went dzzzzzz then nothing...
i had just cleaned the tank and turned everything back on, needless to say, i am not impressed and have come to the conclusion that most things made in this country die after a few months.
it was bought from petco, we no longer go there for pet things because the store which is local seems not to have a fish expert...let alone someone who can sex budgerigars! lool
we were 'advised' by a member of staff that this was the correct one, after he read the boxes on display.
anyways...rant on that over...
obviously the tank needs a new filter, and pretty much soon!
the tank is a 55gal (4ft long) tank and if i dont top it up it looses about 2 inch of water in a week.
i would like a filter which doesnt cost much to replace the carbons, this filter we have i quite liked because it has a section of little round 'brushes' and does keep the tank clear(ish) but there is room for improvement. :)
can any of you good folks recommend a new filter which would fit my requirements ?:fish1:
thanks

also, the part of the filter which comes down into the tank and sucks the water through...i would like one which goes a little further down, nearer the bottom rather than over half way up

Last edited:
Your best bet is a canister filter. These can get pricey so I'd check around on Craigslist. For a 55 I'd go for a fluval 400 series, Rena Xp3 or Xp4, or an eheim. Of your on a tight budget you can get a Sun Sun canister filter off eBay. Similar design to the other filters just A LOT cheaper new.

thankyou, i got API filstar xp for a tank up to 75gal, leaves room for a tank upgrade :)
i just got it primed and running, its very quiet, it was $70 as petsmart are discontinuing it, my only concern now is that they will not be stocking the filtration sponges for it so i guess petco will be getting a visit soon,
i didnt want to get the same filter i had and i couldnt get a bigger wider one as that would have meant moving the tank from the wall a little further and as i had just changed 50% water, that was not an option, thankyou again for your advise.

image-3558206929.jpg

thankyou, i got API filstar xp for a tank up to 75gal, leaves room for a tank upgrade :)
i just got it primed and running, its very quiet, it was $70 as petsmart are discontinuing it, my only concern now is that they will not be stocking the filtration sponges for it so i guess petco will be getting a visit soon,
i didnt want to get the same filter i had and i couldnt get a bigger wider one as that would have meant moving the tank from the wall a little further and as i had just changed 50% water, that was not an option, thankyou again for your advise.

View attachment 205321
It's like the dominators of this site seems to think 50% water changes are the answer to every problem.

WRONG.

Go with an AquaClear 110 HOB ....... so it at least looks like this:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aquaclear-70-a-282932.html

Or use a lot of custom made media like mine:

38 Gallon Community Video by Paul1792 | Photobucket

Cannister filters are too much trouble and too messy. People that use them seem to spend all their time on filtration instead of enjoying their fish.

Fluval AquaClear and C series have all the advantages of canister with ZERO of the mess and potential for leaks.

Last edited by a moderator:
i do apologise for not having a lot of money to spend on my tank, yes it does look pathetic, and yes i am completely new to this, the decor came with the tank and in between paying bills i am doing my best to try and build up ( more like replace) what equipment i have...
i dont claim to be an expert or know it all...
thankyou for your input!

tbh i was desperate to replace the broken filter, i got what was available to me local to where i live and as i have only been in the usa a few months and other than petsmart and pet co i only know of two other fish places which are about 60 miles away in opposite directions...

i absolutely hate taking out so much water...every week or so...i was told that this would help...
and as i read through other posts here, some people say one thing and some say another, hardly anyone seems to agree, different people have different methods, i am trying to learn what it right for my fish and tank.

and on a lighter note, i do have 90 days to return it...so if it does leak or gives me more work, i will obviously change it.
at least it would be $70 towards something else.
or should i just quit now???

Last edited by a moderator:
thankyou for editing and removing comments, because you edited the crappy response from paul, which upset me, as i am working with what i have, and it was the reason for my epic reply, it now makes no sense, the people who came to my tank and pockets defense, thankyou, i now have the advise i needed for my tank so this thread is not needed. i am sure the links paul posted can be reposted in a new thread, id rather not have to see it. and his opinion is not needed,
my advise to paul is to at least take a look at the origianl posters other threads before he voices his opinion, then he might see just what people are doing and have done with their fish, instead of assuming everyone has endless amounts of $$ to put into their hobby, i know what i originally started with when i saved my fish from where they were! HE DOESNT !
please take down the whole thread.
thankyou.

i do apologise for not having a lot of money to spend on my tank, yes it does look pathetic, and yes i am completely new to this, the decor came with the tank and in between paying bills i am doing my best to try and build up ( more like replace) what equipment i have... i dont claim to be an expert or know it all... thankyou for your input! tbh i was desperate to replace the broken filter, i got what was available to me local to where i live and as i have only been in the usa a few months and other than petsmart and pet co i only know of two other fish places which are about 60 miles away in opposite directions... i absolutely hate taking out so much water...every week or so...i was told that this would help... and as i read through other posts here, some people say one thing and some say another, hardly anyone seems to agree, different people have different methods, i am trying to learn what it right for my fish and tank. and on a lighter note, i do have 90 days to return it...so if it does leak or gives me more work, i will obviously change it. at least it would be $70 towards something else. or should i just quit now???

I don't think you will have a problem, IMO all filters are almost equal. I like my top fin 10s better than my aquaclears. As for the tank everyone starts somewhere. Just add what you can when you can and it will be great in no time. You've got a lifetime to set up and enjoy your tank so don't rush into it. No matter what filter you are running water changes can't hurt and a lot of the time they do solve your problems.

Did you try cleaning the impeller on the filter that hums. That is what happened to my fx5 the first time it stopped. The impeller was screwed into the side so I put the job off, now it gets a clean every 12 months, which involves removing and emptying the filter completely. It stopped after 15 months the first time. I'm afraid with plecs massive water changes are part of it, it is easier to remove waste from the tank by way of a syphon filter than it is to break the filter down twice a week. The tank at the time was massive with two fx5 filters on it. It had two plecs 46+ & 35+ Cms plus 28 corydoras I bred and 11 clown loach, B Macracanthus.

DONT GIVE UP, we all gotta start some place!

Try not to let his opinions, or comments upset you. We all started out with less than superior equipment, and tanks.
Hang in there and don't get discouraged. Better tanks are in your future, I'm sure!!!(y)

I agree with all of that. You wouldn't be here if you didn't care about your fish. I understand you rescued them? :thanks: that is Noble indeed. That makes you a good guy in my books.

i bought the fishtank from good old craigslist. the filter which came with the set up lasted that night and that was when we bought the one that broke. the airpump was useless, the gravel in the tank was like painted pumice stone and looked awful, thats why there is no gravel in the tank at the moment, there is glass beads and rocks and pebbles my step daughter has been collecting since she was a toddler, better off in the tank than lying all over the house...and she still remembers where most of them came from...i am getting some silicone sealer so i can make a rock cave for him.
i did buy two big bags of gravel today which should give a nice base and ill be ditching those red stalks next clean up.
today the tank is so much clearer and the fish are swimming more actively, which i am chuffed to bits about, and so is hubby. i can actually see right to the other side of the 4ft length, which is a first! so i know this new canister filter is doing its job.
i bought some zucchini ? we brits call it courgette, i had to google that! lol its stuck on the side of the tank waiting for george to eat it...he has probably never had it before.
when i put the gravel in and its settled back down i will post another picture of the tank, for criticism, but not until.
thankyou. ?

It's like the dominators of this site seems to think 50% water changes are the answer to every problem.

WRONG.

Go with an AquaClear 110 HOB ....... so it at least looks like this:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aquaclear-70-a-282932.html

Or use a lot of custom made media like mine:

38 Gallon Community Video by Paul1792 | Photobucket

Cannister filters are too much trouble and too messy. People that use them seem to spend all their time on filtration instead of enjoying their fish.

Fluval AquaClear and C series have all the advantages of canister with ZERO of the mess and potential for leaks.

This post should be deleted, but I would like to respond to it instead.

First, define "dominators of this site" for me please.

50% water changes are a good thing. In fact, bigger is better. If your opinion is based on least effort, I'm afraid I have to rule it out immediately.

AquaClears are good filters. I've used plenty and have a few running now. Canister filters are in no way dirtier or higher maintenance than HOB filters. What experience are you basing this post on? What filters have you run? I can make a case that canister = HOB = sponge = Poret = box = UGF as far as filtration goes. They all have pros and cons, but they can all do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom