Need a new filter for 180g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Our marineland emperor 400 hob just died.

Currently we have 1 other ML emp 400 and a Fluval 400 canister running. Wondering if we should get an other canister or replace the hob? What do you experts think?

Sent from my iPhone

I am not a fan of HOB on very large tanks. They generally do not provide enough circulation since the intake is right next to the output.

I would generally recommend 2 canisters on 6ft 180. Sized appropriately for the number and type of fish in the tank.

Marineland makes a model, the hot magnum, I've heard they're great for water polishing and circulation, cheap too..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do have one of those canisters and an hob running too so the new flyer would be in addition to, no?

Sent from my iPhone

It really depends what you are trying to accomplish with the filter.

Bio-filtration, mechanical filtration, circulation, etc...

What issues are you having with the filters you have currently?

:-/ I'm not sure I understand the question. I guess my goal is for my fish not to die. We have the two filters plus two power heads and this mixer thing for our pressurized co2.

Sent from my iPhone

If circulation is not an issue due to the power heads and you don't have stuff floating around in the water that needs to be filtered out than an HOB filter is your best value.

I would strongly recommend the Aquaclear 110 for your setup. Lots of flow + media flexibility + relatively inexpensive.

If circulation is not an issue due to the power heads and you don't have stuff floating around in the water that needs to be filtered out than an HOB filter is your best value.

I would strongly recommend the Aquaclear 110 for your setup. Lots of flow + media flexibility + relatively inexpensive.

Thank you so much! I will look in to this one.

Sent from my iPhone

I use an Aquaclear 110 on my 75 gal tank and it has a pretty strong flow with the filters clean and the adjustment set to full power.

Big fan of the dual (or more) filter setups myself, just remember to never clean them both in the same week! Keeps the beneficial bacterial alive and well!

Build yourself a sump. You'll be glad you did. Only thing you'll need is a pump and overflow box. I have a 30 gallon sump on my 100g tank and it stays crystal clear super overstocked with 13 discus clown loaches fire eel and even a stingray!

Marineland makes a model, the hot magnum, I've heard they're great for water polishing and circulation, cheap too..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes! They are great I have two on my 90G Reef filled with crushed coral and a 350 up and running since 1991!!

Back
Top Bottom