Need A Protein Skimmer For My 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not really sure, but from the looks of it, it doesn't look like a complete great value. I mean, sure it's less expensive, but investing in a quality skimmer is going to make a difference. I think the statement "you really get what you pay for" applies to many things including this piece of equipment. Something that seems sketchy is that the picture of the skimmer being utilized in a tank looks to be freshwater. Also it looks like the company isn't one that focuses on aquariums, but more of everything? Who knows, maybe it's an awesome skimmer, but maybe it breaks in a couple months or a year, then that leaves you with going without a skimmer or buying a new one. There's always the option of going without a skimmer and keeping up on water changes or Craigslist. Best of luck!

I had this exact same skimmer and it was terrible. It was big, bulky and cheaply made. It didnt skim anything and I basically gave it away. lol i wouldnt waste your money on it

Don't waste your money on cheap skimmers, they are the heart of your system a very important piece of equipment. If your not sure what to buy, research the Internet, read the reviews of what other people have used, and look at the top quality skimmers that are more popular.

A quality name brand skimmer is what your looking for in a first skimmer. You dont wanna be buying junk and scrambling on how to jerry rig it to do something. When it comes to equipment in this hobby you truly get what you pay for.

I have a Coralife Super Skimmer on my 180g that is total garbage ( IMO) and an ASM on my 90g that is totally awesome. I've had it over 3 months and have never had to adjust it. The ASM isn't cheap though.

SeanMonster said:
I have a Coralife Super Skimmer on my 180g that is total garbage ( IMO) and an ASM on my 90g that is totally awesome. I've had it over 3 months and have never had to adjust it. The ASM isn't cheap though.

Ya i dont think superskimmer would be good on a 180 but it works well on 55g imo but if you want a nice skimmer i reccommend reef octopus i have pro 600 on my 250g setup and i love it its a beast

I vote make one. Theyre really fun to make and they work well. I made this one and it skims like a champ so far. I have a thread DIY skimmer success in the DIY forum how to make it.

Attachments

• image-246644333.jpg
    image-246644333.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 77
crister13 said:
I vote make one. Theyre really fun to make and they work well. I made this one and it skims like a champ so far. I have a thread DIY skimmer success in the DIY forum how to make it.

Awesome!! I'll definitely check out your DIY thread!

Jake you dont have a sump right? So your looking for a hob skimmer? Most are not that great....

Crister, is your DIY skimmer in your sump? And is the pump external or internal? Just curious

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Jake you dont have a sump right? So your looking for a hob skimmer? Most are not that great....

Crister, is your DIY skimmer in your sump? And is the pump external or internal? Just curious

Only line of HOB skimmer i would recommend are the Reef octopus HOB skimmers. Ive had 2 different models the 800 and the 1000. Got pretty much nothing but good things to say, never had a significant problem with them and cant really beat the price compared to others.

Skims like a champ. Currently I have the bh 1000 on my 29g been going strong 1 year no problems.

Just doing some cleaning maintenance on it is this pic.

Attachments

• image-3722169139.jpg
    image-3722169139.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 64
My pump is internal and also its in sump. Didnt realize this was hob. I would def recommend reef octopus bh series like schism did. They have great reviews and are supposed to be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom