Need advice, add another HOB or Canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sf1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I already have 2 Fluval C3 on my 29G planted tank.
It's OK, but not perfect. I need a little more mechanical filtration.

So, I want to add another filter. Maybe another C3, maybe C4, or maybe Eheim 2215 or Fluval 206.

Do canister have much better mechanical filtration? Sechem Matrix works better to denitrat with canister?

I cleam my HOBs every week, do I need to clean canister less or more?

Thanks

I would add the aqua clear 110 it will do the trick. Also the aqua clear 110 would do the job on its own in my opinion

Tank Filtration

I already have 2 Fluval C3 on my 29G planted tank.
It's OK, but not perfect. I need a little more mechanical filtration.

So, I want to add another filter. Maybe another C3, maybe C4, or maybe Eheim 2215 or Fluval 206.

Do canister have much better mechanical filtration? Sechem Matrix works better to denitrat with canister?

I cleam my HOBs every week, do I need to clean canister less or more?

Thanks

Hello Sf...

I've read a lot about over filtering a tank and it's not wrong, but it is unnecessary and expensive. A 29 gallon tank is fine with a filter system with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 4 times the volume of the tank in gallons or roughly 120. If you're doing a good job of managing the tank by changing half the water every week, then you're removing the toxins in the water well before they build up to harmful levels. The filter is just doing a very, very small job as a backup water cleaner. It just takes in toxic water and returns the same water, just a little less toxic. You could add ten filters to the tank and they'd all just be moving dirty tank water.

I'd suggest an aggressive water change routine and a basic filter. Your fish and plants will appreciate the frequent, large water changes much more than multiple filters.

Just one reporter's opinion.

B

Back
Top Bottom