Need advice on used 46g bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bengoshi2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I scored a 46g bowfront with glass top and light off of craigslist for $50. I'm leak testing it today.

The PO had it on a sun porch for some period of time and the support brace is slightly warped. I also noticed that the plastic frame on the bottom right front of the tank is cracked at the corner, and so is the top frame at the right rear. I cannot find any damage to the glass or the seams.

Are any of these problems that can lead to tank containment failure?

My thoughts are to JB weld the cracks...

I just scored a 46g bowfront w/oak stand, 1 emperor power filter, 2 aquaclear 70's, a heater, glass top and light on craigs for $100!

I noticed that the top cross-tank support was discolored on mine and this one was not in a sunned area - I presume its from the light in the hood.

Other than that, mine was in pristine shape. Congrats on your deal and hopefully somebody will chime in here shortly to answer your questions..

I'm less concerned about the support brace/strap than I am about the cracks on the frame corners.

FWIW, it's been full for well over 8 hours and no leaks. I'm draining it now and bringing it inside... supposed to freeze here tonite and I doubt that would leaving it out is a good idea.

Epilogue:

I ended up JB welding the cracks in the frame and clamped them together using a pair of ratcheting tie-down straps. Removed the straps after 36 hours and sanded off the excess JB weld. Tank has been up and running for a month now with no leaks and no signs of separation at the repaired cracks. Craigslist FTW!!

Back
Top Bottom