Need advise on setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ezzn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 100gal overflow tank on Craigslist and I was wondering on what filter system I should get. I'm on a tight budget and I was thinking on the Mairneland C-530. I'm not sure if it will work with a overflow tank, what do you think?

The other item I was going to get is the UV Sterilizers 3X, 9 Watt

Please let me know

Thank you

Ezzn

If its salt water then I would go with a sump. Fresh water then a canister is good.

For the UV if I was going to buy one I would go one size larger and only if I was fighting algae. I have two that came with used systems but I'm not using them.

Thank you, yes this is for a freshwater. Going to start adding plants too. I'm just concern on the hose size from the canister. Do they come with a general size?

So I woudl need to by the marnieland hose adapter to fit the PVC fittings?

Ezzn

You will want to plug up the holes if you want to use the canister. Its more tricky using the overflow holes for the canister, but its do-able (according to the people that used it and says it works). I think those people also have a lot of knowledge about utilizing an overflow with sump. If you're into plants, then you definitely want to use a canister (for C02). If you think you can live with low-light plants only, then it might want to look into utilizing the overflow and a sump. If you just want an easy setup and not have to deal with the dozen hours of research about sumps, then please go with the canister.

Back
Top Bottom