Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Need an honest answer

Just need an opinion of this light fixture. I am looking at getting some more lighting for my 75 gallon tank and am not really to the point where I feel like spending 400 on a fixture. I have debated halides but dont like the thought of all the heat. I plan on keeping my canopy on so I am also in the market for a fan setup so any suggestions on that would be awesome.

Link to the fixture. 48" 4 ft T5 Lighting Aquarium Light Hood Marine Reef Coral 432W 8 Bulbs Timer | eBay

Thanks
Kody

Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I also looked at that fixture. The only drawback is it doesnt have a splash guard and no mounting legs.

But if youre going with a canopy install I don't think any of the drawbacks matter. In my opinion I would most likely buy it.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you, and I was kinda weary at first but I can't find anything bad about them so who knows, maybe I'll go for it and write a review.

Do you think 8 is overkill, or should I go with 6 bulbs instead?

Kody
Old 11-14-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would probably go for over kill as thats how I am. lol But you can control the bulbs by sets of two so you could always keep 2 bulbs off if its too much
Old 11-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

i would try and find one with single lamp reflectors. hydrofarm sells them for around $200 with 6500k lamps
Hydrofarm FLP48UN 4FT 8 Lamp T5 Fluorescent Grow Light - Plantlighting Hydroponics

it might be a little to wide for your tank though, the 6 lamp will get the job done well and fit fine

as for over kill if it had single lamp reflectors i would say yes but it has two lamps per 1 reflector so the PAR wouldn't be as high 6 lamps will be more then plenty with SLRs
Old 11-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Looking at the fixture you put up there, the width ( which is what I am worried about) is 24 inches. I'm pretty sure I could make it fit but it would be a pain, on the other hand the fixture I posted originally has a width of 17 inches... Any thought with that in mind?
Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com