Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2004, 01:20 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Need an opinion on lighting...

I maintain a 150g African Cichlid tank at a medical center. It currently has a 2x96w PC setup on it with 10k bulbs. The tank looks good, but it's a bit bright. I was thinking about changing the bulbs to 50/50's. I'm sure these will be a little dimmer, but do you think the actinic will bring out the colors of the cichlids better? The 10k almost seem to wash out their colors because of their brightness. Anyone have any experience with this?

Old 06-12-2004, 01:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
i'd be worried about the actinics bring about a lot of algae...

Old 06-12-2004, 01:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Logan,

I don't have experience with 50/50 bulbs on African tank, but can say a 50/50 bulb really brings out the colors of my Austrialian Rainbows. I suspect beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That said 50/50's are quite pleasing to my eyeballs.

Best regards,

William
Old 06-12-2004, 03:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Not to stir the fire, but to ask from a non-knowing non-freshwater standpoint. I am much like logan in regards to freshwater. I always thought freshwater plants and algea preferred the lower end of the spectrum like around 6600K. Why would actinics fuel algea any more than 10Ks?

R-
Old 06-12-2004, 03:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

SH,

As a non-knowing salt water keeper, I appreciate your quest for knowledege. In the freshwater world actinics emit 400-440nm which promotes alage growth. In general freshwater plants will absorb the same spectrum but prefer the 650 to 680 nm range. I'm pulling all these stats off the top of my head so I need to confirm them and can't for the life of me recall the the spectrum of true 10K bulbs.

Best regards,

William
Old 06-12-2004, 10:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
*nods* Great. Thanks for the unput.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:42 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
This tank has no plants in it. I'm about to redo it with a lot of rockwork to simulate the cichlids natural habitat more closely. The tank used to be SW, but was changed over before I started taking care of it. I wasn't aware that the actinics would promote algae growth in a FW tank. Has anyone else had any experience with this? I wonder if the standard "blue" bulbs would be better than "true actinics" for this application. I'm thinking you can get the 50/50 bulbs, although I'll have to check on it, with either 7100k blue or true actinic. Any thoughts?

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com