need aquarium water pump but not for an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shokan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
What kind of aquarium water pump will move warm water through about 20 feet of one-eighth inch plastic flexible tubing at a slow rate? I am asking not about an aquarium, but another type of project. The 20 feet of tubing will be at a level of a few feet above a reservoir of warm water (about 120F), and I only need a flow of, say, 5-10 gals per hour. I figured this is the place someone might be able to help.

I have read online that there are submersible and not submersible. I need advice if either one will do the task. Also, it needs to be quiet.

Thanks.

Attachments

• viewed27.jpg
    viewed27.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 145
underfloor heating?

How much lift is there? I mean how high does it have to put upwards? once its leveled off and has no option but to flow and go back down to the reservoir most should do. You can do a submersible, if not you need to drill a hole in the side of the reservoir.
this place has all sort of pumps, I use a 9.5 for 4' of lift and two 1200's for 8' of lift from a sump reservoir.
DANNER MFG HOMEPAGE
i use the supreme mag drives

i think the model 2 would be a close guess to what you need, you might need to install a valve on the output side to slow the flow to what you need.

sculpture

underfloor heating?

How much lift is there? I mean how high does it have to put upwards? once its leveled off and has no option but to flow and go back down to the reservoir most should do. You can do a submersible, if not you need to drill a hole in the side of the reservoir.
this place has all sort of pumps, I use a 9.5 for 4' of lift and two 1200's for 8' of lift from a sump reservoir.
DANNER MFG HOMEPAGE
i use the supreme mag drives

i think the model 2 would be a close guess to what you need, you might need to install a valve on the output side to slow the flow to what you need.

My project is a sculpture for short-term display.

The twenty feet of one-eighth inch diameter vinyl tubing is on a horizontal plane no more than four feet above the level of the reservoir. The reservoir will most likely be a large pot or aquarium, with a submersible plug-in heater of some kind, maybe such as used in fish tanks.

This is strictly a seat-of-the-pants deal, and will all be disassembled after a short time, probably never to used again.

I take it from your reply that a pump used for home aquariums is not adequate.

I've sent an email to the company you mentioned.

Thanks for the reply. Any more suggestions? The sketch in the original post has all the info you wanted to know.

Agree with WhiteDevil about the Danner pumps, and the Model 2. Good pumps.

Another option though would be Lifegard Aquatics "Quiet One" pumps. They're a little cheaper, but still very good quality. Depending on how confident you are on that "no more than four feet above the level of the reservoir", you could go with a...

Quiet One model 800 pump; at 4' head height it will put out 36 gal/hr. If you're a bit over 4' of "lift" on your water, that might be cutting it close because that model's maximum head is 4.37 feet. At that height, you won't get any flow.

Maybe a better choice would be the Quiet One model 1200; at 4' head height it pumps 175 gal/hr. As WhiteDevil mentioned, putting a valve at the outlet will allow you to throttle down the flow to whatever you want. Probably a good idea no matter what pump you go with - it's nearly impossible to match a pump to your exact requirements.

You can get the Quiet One (as well as the Danner pumps) here:

Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium Water Pump

...and here's a link to the flow curves for the Lifegard pumps...

Lifegard Aquatics

Agree with WhiteDevil about the Danner pumps, and the Model 2. Good pumps.

Another option though would be Lifegard Aquatics "Quiet One" pumps. They're a little cheaper, but still very good quality. Depending on how confident you are on that "no more than four feet above the level of the reservoir", you could go with a...

Quiet One model 800 pump; at 4' head height it will put out 36 gal/hr. If you're a bit over 4' of "lift" on your water, that might be cutting it close because that model's maximum head is 4.37 feet. At that height, you won't get any flow.

Maybe a better choice would be the Quiet One model 1200; at 4' head height it pumps 175 gal/hr. As WhiteDevil mentioned, putting a valve at the outlet will allow you to throttle down the flow to whatever you want. Probably a good idea no matter what pump you go with - it's nearly impossible to match a pump to your exact requirements.

You can get the Quiet One (as well as the Danner pumps) here:

Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Aquarium Water Pump

...and here's a link to the flow curves for the Lifegard pumps...

Lifegard Aquatics

OK, sounds good. And, I like the price of that 1200 pump. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom