Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Need equipment. Tank system too basic

Hey guys I've been posting here lately about my blenny dying. While I don't think it has anything to do with my filtration system or anything I think I need to upgrade since I've added more stuff to the tank since I bought it. I've got a 55 gallon saltwater. All I'm using is a hang on marineland penguin biowheel 350 filter made for a larger tank. I think that's a lot better than the one that came with it. Something from Wal Mart. Horrible horrible system but some how the tank managed. It's almost 6 years old and I'm pretty sure it had been set up for that long just like that. The only other equipment that's used for the tank is a really cheap protein skimmer. Seriously cheap. Hang on too btw.

I'm ready to get a sump set up. Obviously I'll need to get a overflow box bc the tank set up doesn't have a built in one. What's the best possible way of going about getting a sump proper for my 55 gallon and what kind of protein skimmer. It'd definitely clean up having all the filter and heater and protein skimmer hanging inside the tank. If anyone has anything reliably cheap I could take off therir hands let me know. It's worth asking. Thx for everyones help

Old 08-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow! You guys rock! Thx for the feedback!
Welllll. I went to my uncle's house and he gave me a sump set up. Got it home and clears it up. But it's too wide too fit inside my stand. Any suggestions. The sump is for sure too large. And actually it's probably bigger than my tank needs. Should I take it to the fish shop and see if the credit me for a smaller one.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you can find room for it the extra large sump will add a larger buffer for maintaining water quality. If it was me I'd look at upgrading the stand before downgrading the sump.

Do you know how big it actually is?

Edit: Also, below is a diagram of a DIY siphon box for an overflow for a tank without holes drilled, from http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects...verflow/70.asp

Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine didnt fit under my stand either, I relocated one behind the tank wall in another room and the other sump for my 55 is BEHIND the stand. Either upgrade the stand or put it behind the tank,thus leaving the stand wide open for access and other equipment if needed?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Called him back and we talked about it. He has two tanks. A 90 or so, I can't remember exactly and a 55 which I have a 55. The guy he bought the 55 from knocked out the center board that is vertical. And it doesn't even have a center board on the front either and the stand does just fine. He upgraded the sump on his larger tank and someone else told Jim he'd have to knock the center piece out as well. He done it and had no problems. We talked and he thinks we should be ok taking out that center board. That way I can slip the sump underneath the stand. I'll have to dremel the lip on the bottom of the stand as well so the sump will lay flat. What do you guys think of this process?

Thanks to the two of you guys responding and especially the diagram!
Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldnt modify something that holds 440 pounds. Its put there for a stability reason.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Kinda what I thought. But how can both of my uncles stands not have that back piece and the 55 doesn't have the back piece or the front piece where the doors meet and it does just fine.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

One good bump or hard vibration and it wont. It might just give out one day and snap too. Thats too much water to be messing around with.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDevil View Post
One good bump or hard vibration and it wont. It might just give out one day and snap too. Thats too much water to be messing around with.
0_o

That's scary huh! Well any way I could find a smaller sump?
Old 08-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah sumps come in all shapes and sizes, well not all shapes but sizes. If you can find NOVA PRO's do it they are some of the best and they arent being made anymore.

Id just put the sump behind the tank, maybe move it to a corner and put it on an angle. its not wasted space behind there and gives you ample room to do things both above,under,front and back. I keep a torch lamp behind the sump behind my tank just cause I didnt want the wife to win the argument on space.

Heck 15g of water on the floor is scary I couldnt imagine 55 or if my 210 ruptured.

Tags
equipment, stem, system, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com