Need Filter Reccommendation, 5.5G w/ betta, Whattabout the Elite Hush 5 Power Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michaelg210

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sorry, thought I had this covered, but turns out not so....

boy me and my filtration issues:

Well, I now have a 5.5 G tank, still with a betta, and "cycling with fish" (I know, no chiding please, no alternatives)

Ok, so it turns out my Tom Aquarium Products Mini Internal Filter for 1 - 5 gallon aquariums is being discontinued, meaning, from the manufacturer, that " However, you should (??) still be able to find replacement cartridges on line" Like that "should" part....

Product is still recent enough I can return it, cause I ain't gonna start ordering "should-be-able-to" filters on line....

Am thinking of the
Elite Hush 5 Power Filter by Hagen
FT-A50

$11.95
* Dual filter cartride system
* Built in filter insert change indicator

Hush 5 (#A-5) For Aquariums up to 5 U.S. Gallons

* 190 L (50 U.S. Gal.)per hour
* cUL Approved
* 115 V
* 60 Hz

Does anyone have experience with these filters? I like the flow rate,
wish it were adjustible, though... again worrried about the effects of the
current on the betta.

Another consideration, since currently cycling with fish is, bio matter, specifically
is the cartridge or whatever bio matter adheres to well suited for this?

I know I post a lot of questions, but how else will I learn? ........

here is what has been said so far so as not to duplicate....

also, at work, no time to filter thru all the threads, so if there is a better thread for this let me know and I will move this post....

below is when I was still looking for a 2.5G filter w/o too much current, went to a 5.5g tank, as it was a difficult issue and i hated the Tetra 3i...

Try an air operated box filter or just a tiny powerhead with a sponge attachment. Bettas need almost still water so your flow is probably stressing him out a bit. I would ultimately just spring for at least a 5g tank.

Originally Posted by BigJim
Welcome to AA!

Go with either a sponge filter as Crepe suggested or a small HOB filter. I believe Hagen make an AquaClear Mini that would do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim
Welcome to AA!

Go with either a sponge filter as Crepe suggested or a small HOB filter. I believe Hagen make an AquaClear Mini that would do the job.

Found that filter, it is the AquaClear 20 (formerly the 100)... mfg says reccommended for small tanks but good up to 20 gallons, has a flow rate of 100 gph.... i think that would be too strong for the tank...

I have since upgraded to a 5.5g tank... still using the Tom Mini Internal for 1 - 5 g tanks with flow rate of 40 gph...... if anything, it may be a little weak for the tank, but is working fine and the betta does well with it... even plays with the current a bit, which is fun to watch... sometimes surfs it.. lol....

Ok, so it turns out my Tom Aquarium Products Mini Internal Filter for 1 - 5 gallon aquariums is being discontinued, meaning, from the manufacturer, that " However, you should (??) still be able to find replacement cartridges on line" Like that "should" part....
all you have to do is clean the media out no need to replace it.

i would just go with a aqua clear and call it a day if it was me.

Back
Top Bottom