Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Quote:
thanks for the replies guys!! okay, more Q's...
what's "floss" in the sump? I take it it's like a refugium but for freshwater??? with a fluidized bed, is that ALL i need? i kinda like the sump idea to hide my heaters and other stuff...or are you suggesting a fluidized bed WITH a sump? thanks for all your time, i am learning so much!!!
Floss is just filter floss, pure mechanical filtration.

a sump and a fluidized bed would serve your purpose great, it would offer a huge biological filter and the sump would give you some great mechanical filtration, increased volume to help with bioload (I imagine that is a fair bit..) as well as a place to put your heaters.

I know you can plant the sump with fast growing plants and use them to consume some of the nitrate naturally.. but what kind of plant, lighting consideration etc. could get costly initially, but you can reduce water changes if the plants can consume enough of the waste. (similar to a balanced eco system).. your fish are clearly too large to house plants in the main aquarium.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:10 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

andos, i will post a pic as soon as i learn how to post pics......thanks for the link loneblue, i will check it out....

wizzard, so i guess the sump on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AUS%3A1&rd=1

WOULD be the best for my particular needs, i think i have decided on this filter......so, would it be enough, and would i still NEED a fluidized filter, or would it just be better to have it too? (i guess just no biological filtration, right?) with the lights included, would that be enough to grow the plants and what kind of plants?? thanks again guys!!

Old 03-18-2006, 11:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
If you are going sump for a 265Gal. I would recommend getting a 55gal (or using an old one, or the 125 if it will fit under the 265 which I imagine it would) and add dividers.

If you can get enough plants growing it will abosorb a huge part of the waste produced. adding 2-4' T8 bulbs (fixture at walmart for 10$ a fixture, Daylight deluxe bulbs from home depot for 3$ or less each) should get a plant like anacharis might be a good option since it can strip Carbon out of carbonate hardness.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:37 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Welcome to AA bluegrassboy. Very wise to consider all the possibilities for filtering a tank of that size. I currently have 11 discus tanks so economy is also an issue. Here's a link to fishroom supply house that I use quite often.

http://jehmco.com/index.html

I would either phone or email these people for suggestions on the best possibilities.

HTH
Old 03-20-2006, 11:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

okay guys, thanks for all your advice, i went ahead and bought the sump on ebay...i figured this with be easier than making myh own as i'm moving in a new house and wont have time to build or experiment......so thanks again guys, i may still buy a fluidized filter, i'm watching a couple on ebay!!! so wish me luck,

wizzard, i have another question about UPS's......i dont see where they are very beneficial. of course they keep your equipment running, but the ones i have looked at say they only runs for about an hour on back up!! let's say the power goes out while i'm at work and the "hour" passes, does that mean my sump will flood? that's what i am trying to stop here.....or am i just reading them wrong? thanks....

Tags
filtration

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com