Need Filtration For 265 gal...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blugrassboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a 265 gal and have no filtration yet. Right now I am leaning towards a sump but have very little knowledge about them or wet/dry filters. From what I understand, if you use an overflow box, you don't have to drill your tank ( :D ), but how does one decide how big an overflow you need? Also, for a freshwater sump, you only need a tank, heaters, a pump, and your filter, right? Where does the carbon come into play, and does the sump tank need "dividers" in it with no refugium?

i know it's alot of questions and i read the forums about sumps but still have many Q's....

To better inform, i have a 3 ft long arrowana that is 7 years old. She lives with a 2 foot clown knife, a 1 1/2 ft marble pim, and a 1 1/2 foot fire eel. i have just ran back filters on their tank (125) but want to move up to a sump on the 265....thanks for all your help!

Or would it be easier to buy this and can it work for freshwater?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7750758263&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1&rd=1

as i am sure i can build one cheaper than this...but it is really nice, and maintenance free (almost)!

Perhaps a fluidized bed would be a good idea? it can provide biological filtration for 300Gal and is quite compact. Pentair Aquatics has 3 different sizes, all of which are maintenance free. Even with a sump it could prove useful. just make sure you have a UPS on the water pump for it.

Yes, you could build a sump far cheaper then that link if you are so inclined, there are instructions in the DIY forum.

Also, the skimmer is useless AFAIK on a FW setup, not enough surface tension

Welcome to AA btw :)

thanks for the info, but what's a fluidized bed? do you have a link? but i will research too, and what's a UPS for the water pump? also, how do you keep the sump from overflowing and will it overflow if the power goes out? thanks again!!

and what about the size of your overflow box, any takers??????

The new Fluval FX5 cycles 900 GPH. You could try one of those with a solid HOB as back up. By the way....what do you feed a 3 foot arrowana? Mice?

With a tank that big and fish that big I would say go with 2 XP3's AND the biggest HOB you can find if you go the Rena Filstar route. I just bought an XP3 about a week ago and so far I'm diggin it.

blugrassboy said:
thanks for the info, but what's a fluidized bed? do you have a link? but i will research too, and what's a UPS for the water pump? also, how do you keep the sump from overflowing and will it overflow if the power goes out? thanks again!!

a fluidized bed is sand that is held in suspension by water. the water is trying to push the sand out the top, gravity pulls the sand back down. the sand constantly bumps into itself, cleaning itself.

(no affiliation with this store, you may find it cheaper elsewhere)
http://www.aquatichouse.com/FILTRATION MENU_files/Rainbow.asp

the largest is rated for 900Gallons, the smallest is 300Gallons.

the overflow box will only drain the tank until the water reaches it's brim, then the water can't get into the box. The return pump's job is to keep trying to overflow the tank (and hopefully never suceeds if the overflow box can handle a higher rate).

a UPS is an "Uninteruptable Power Supply", it's used for computers for brownouts and small blackouts to keep the power constant. it has a battery and is available in different sizes.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=20

To prevent the sump from overflowing you allow enough space for the plumbing to drain back to the sump (so leave 1-2" of the sump not full) You can do this easily by filling the sump, then turning on the pump. then mark a line where the water level ends up. that is your "full" point, going above that will result in a mess if the pump fails or power is out without a UPS or for an extended period of time.

With fish that are this messy (and shear size), I think you are taking the right approach. Use floss in the sump, you can also plant it and keep the levels down quite a bit (esp. if you pick the right plants)

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
blugrassboy said:

a fluidized bed is sand that is held in suspension by water. the water is trying to push the sand out the top, gravity pulls the sand back down. the sand constantly bumps into itself, cleaning itself.

(no affiliation with this store, you may find it cheaper elsewhere)
http://www.aquatichouse.com/FILTRATION MENU_files/Rainbow.asp

the largest is rated for 900Gallons, the smallest is 300Gallons.

the overflow box will only drain the tank until the water reaches it's brim, then the water can't get into the box. The return pump's job is to keep trying to overflow the tank (and hopefully never suceeds if the overflow box can handle a higher rate).

a UPS is an "Uninteruptable Power Supply", it's used for computers for brownouts and small blackouts to keep the power constant. it has a battery and is available in different sizes.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=20

To prevent the sump from overflowing you allow enough space for the plumbing to drain back to the sump (so leave 1-2" of the sump not full) You can do this easily by filling the sump, then turning on the pump. then mark a line where the water level ends up. that is your "full" point, going above that will result in a mess if the pump fails or power is out without a UPS or for an extended period of time.

With fish that are this messy (and shear size), I think you are taking the right approach. Use floss in the sump, you can also plant it and keep the levels down quite a bit (esp. if you pick the right plants)

thanks for the replies guys!! okay, more Q's...
what's "floss" in the sump? I take it it's like a refugium but for freshwater??? with a fluidized bed, is that ALL i need? i kinda like the sump idea to hide my heaters and other stuff...or are you suggesting a fluidized bed WITH a sump? thanks for all your time, i am learning so much!!! :D

To Andos;

i had bad luck with fluvals in the past...so not a big fan unless they have changed...she mostly eats krill, mice, raw meat, raw shrimp, etc...she LOVES madagascar cockroaches!!

and what's an xp3????

and no one said if the item on ebay would work for freshwater (i dont think).....i dont really have the money for that sump, but i WILL spend it for my arrowana if this is close to the best filtration for her....so if this works, hey, why not? Also, i heard skimmers are bad for freshwater, is this true? thanks again guys!!!

I can't answer all your first questions, but an XP3 is a canister filter made my Rena Filstar. XP3 is the model.....it filters 350 GHP and will supposedly work on tanks up to 175 gal but that isn't really feasible. You would need two for a tank that size.

As far as I know.....skimmers are not necessarily bad for freshwater, they just aren't generally needed.

I would love to see a pic of your arrowana if you have one! Please post!

thanks for the replies guys!! okay, more Q's...
what's "floss" in the sump? I take it it's like a refugium but for freshwater??? with a fluidized bed, is that ALL i need? i kinda like the sump idea to hide my heaters and other stuff...or are you suggesting a fluidized bed WITH a sump? thanks for all your time, i am learning so much!!!

Floss is just filter floss, pure mechanical filtration.

a sump and a fluidized bed would serve your purpose great, it would offer a huge biological filter and the sump would give you some great mechanical filtration, increased volume to help with bioload (I imagine that is a fair bit..) as well as a place to put your heaters.

I know you can plant the sump with fast growing plants and use them to consume some of the nitrate naturally.. but what kind of plant, lighting consideration etc. could get costly initially, but you can reduce water changes if the plants can consume enough of the waste. (similar to a balanced eco system).. your fish are clearly too large to house plants in the main aquarium.

andos, i will post a pic as soon as i learn how to post pics......thanks for the link loneblue, i will check it out....

wizzard, so i guess the sump on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7750758263&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1&rd=1

WOULD be the best for my particular needs, i think i have decided on this filter......so, would it be enough, and would i still NEED a fluidized filter, or would it just be better to have it too? (i guess just no biological filtration, right?) with the lights included, would that be enough to grow the plants and what kind of plants?? thanks again guys!!

:wink:

If you are going sump for a 265Gal. I would recommend getting a 55gal (or using an old one, or the 125 if it will fit under the 265 which I imagine it would) and add dividers.

sump.jpg

If you can get enough plants growing it will abosorb a huge part of the waste produced. adding 2-4' T8 bulbs (fixture at walmart for 10$ a fixture, Daylight deluxe bulbs from home depot for 3$ or less each) should get a plant like anacharis might be a good option since it can strip Carbon out of carbonate hardness.

Welcome to AA bluegrassboy. Very wise to consider all the possibilities for filtering a tank of that size. I currently have 11 discus tanks so economy is also an issue. Here's a link to fishroom supply house that I use quite often.

http://jehmco.com/index.html

I would either phone or email these people for suggestions on the best possibilities.

HTH

okay guys, thanks for all your advice, i went ahead and bought the sump on ebay...i figured this with be easier than making myh own as i'm moving in a new house and wont have time to build or experiment......so thanks again guys, i may still buy a fluidized filter, i'm watching a couple on ebay!!! so wish me luck,

wizzard, i have another question about UPS's......i dont see where they are very beneficial. of course they keep your equipment running, but the ones i have looked at say they only runs for about an hour on back up!! let's say the power goes out while i'm at work and the "hour" passes, does that mean my sump will flood? that's what i am trying to stop here.....or am i just reading them wrong? thanks....

Back
Top Bottom