Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Need heater suggestions please.

So I'm getting everything together for my 75 gallon switch. This will take place the weekend after thanksgiving. I have the tank,filters,glass canopy,decor,gravel and lights. What I WILL need is a new heater.

What's a good heater? I'm using now on my 55 BF a Aqueon Pro but it won't be enough for the 75 gallon according to specs.

Any suggestions? Some web sites are having a black Friday sale and some LFS are also having sales.

So what's a really good heater? I'm gonna keep the other heater for back up.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

What size is the aqueon? A 200-250w heater should be sufficient for a 75g tank unless your house is really cold. I run a single 300w on my 150 with no heating issues.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Chriznat20
I have a Via Aqua Titanium heater with a remote thermostat outside of the tank, and I absolutely love it. It keeps the temperature SPOT on, verified by my digital thermometer/tank minder.

Just checked - the heater received 4.5 stars on amazon!
Old 11-18-2011, 11:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
What size is the aqueon? A 200-250w heater should be sufficient for a 75g tank unless your house is really cold. I run a single 300w on my 150 with no heating issues.
It's 150 watt actually too small for even my 55! But there I go listening to my LFS. I but in my spare Top Fin heater to help maintain till I get my 75 up and running.

I like Aqueon products. I'm gonna look into that heater.

House doesn't get that bad. Heat cranks in these old buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriznat20
I have a Via Aqua Titanium heater with a remote thermostat outside of the tank, and I absolutely love it. It keeps the temperature SPOT on, verified by my digital thermometer/tank minder.

Just checked - the heater received 4.5 stars on amazon!
How much? Sounds interesting.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Old 11-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Another 150w would be perfect if you go that route. I've been very satisfied with my Aqueon Pro's. I've got a titanium heater as well... though the name escapes me right now. The down side to them is that they're shiny and harder to hide than the flat black composite heaters.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

PS is having sale and the A pro is like 26 bucks. Rule of thumb do go one up like you do with filters? Like should I go with the 250 watt good for up to 90 gallons rather then the 200 watt good for up to 75 gallons so I have some room for compromise.

Or just use the heaters I have now... I'll add both. One on each side.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Well... since you already have the 150w, why not just get another? Unless you want to use it on another tank, then get a 250w.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516
Well... since you already have the 150w, why not just get another? Unless you want to use it on another tank, then get a 250w.
I may use it on another tank. A just in case tank and just go with the 250w and call it a day.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

I would feel more comfortable having two heaters on a tank of that size. Just a thought
Old 11-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would get an Aqueon 250 (I have one running my 90G right now..) Tried a Fluval E300 and sent it back, things are junk IMO..

Don't remember the question, the answer is large PWC's, Prime, and OVERfiltering...
nextgeneration40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eat, eater, heater, suggestions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com