Need help about the internal cannister filter....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new in this forum. I'm asking if you could help me. I have an internal cannister filter and it blows(pomps) very strongly.. I mean there is a huge flow in my aquarium. My aquarium is 80*30*45 cm3s (approximetaly 30 galoons) and I've bought quartz sand to look after aquatic plants. This kind of sand can easily move in the flow. I'm very worried... I haven't bought the fish and the plants yet. I'm worried... Can the flow disturb the school of angelfish(ptrephyllum scalara)? Also, again, this strong flow, can it be harmful for the plants? I will be glad if you help me....

Sincerely,

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!! :mrgreen:

Can you tell us what kind of filter it is? Many have a flow control valve on them to cut back on the flow. Also, good water movement is good, and it might just be the sand needing to settle a bit. Often sand will fly around the tank a bit when it is newly placed, but if you have a lot of turbulence in the water that is not good for the fish, as you suspect.

Have you considered cycling the tank without fish, by using household ammonia? This will give the tank time for the sand to settle and accumulate healthy bacteria prior to introducing your angels. I know you did not ask about that, forgive me!

Back
Top Bottom