need help choosing a new filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaitlin459

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok so i have a 10 gallon tank that i have been cycling for the last month and right now the only fish i have is a single apple snail. and sadly the filter i have does not keep the tank clean enough. so what filter do u recommend id prefer a hang on the back filter also a filter rated for 20 gallon tanks or higher thanks

EDIT also id prefer a HOB filter that is easy to use with DIY filter media because i plan at some point to go the route of DIY filter media instead of buying the ones designed for said filter

and this is the filter i currently have in the tank:
http://www.petsmart.com/fish/filters...6-catid-300088

Aquaclear 20 would work great on a 10g. You can adjust the filter media to your own specs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I recommend a sponge filter as a very cheap extra filter. I actually run a 10 gallon on a sponge filter alone. I only recommend this for fairly light stocks and fish that have a light bioload though.

I recommend a sponge filter as a very cheap extra filter. I actually run a 10 gallon on a sponge filter alone. I only recommend this for fairly light stocks and fish that have a light bioload though.

I'm a fan of sponge filters, especially for tanks with fry or shrimp. I suggested the Aqua Clear since OP preferred HOB.

I'm a fan of sponge filters, especially for tanks with fry or shrimp. I suggested the Aqua Clear since OP preferred HOB.

I like to run sponges concurrently with HOBs, so I figured I'd throw it out there. They make a good combination IMO. (All of my tanks are run on HOBs, sponge filters or preferably both)

Aquaclear would be my first suggestion for an HOB :)

Back
Top Bottom