Need help choosing a return pump for my setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arnold

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright, this is what I am thinking about setting up.
72bow/75/80g tank with either a built in overflow or hang on overflow. The sump will be a 55g tank. From the sump to the tip of the tank is a lttle over 5 ft, so lets say 6.

I'd like to use a fairly high pwoer pump for water movement since the primary filteration will be rhe rock/sand, along with an in sump skimmer.

I'm leaning torwards a mag pump, but I am not sure how many gph to go with. I was looking at a mag2400 which was rated at 1300ish head pressure at 6ft, but that might be a bit much?

Also, I would like to know what you guys recommend for an in sump protein skimmer. Something that will fit in a 55g glass tank.

1300 GPH after head height would be fine, you'd need to install a ball valve on the return line as well though. What you have in terms of return flow will be limited by the overflow (diameter) being used.

There are several good skimmer choices for a tank that size. Do you want it in sump or inline, what is the clearance height under the tank and what's your budget?

Cheers
Steve

IMO go with the drilled tank and scrap the overflow box. I know a lot of reefers who have had problems with the OF box, flooding being the #1 issue.

Definitely go with the pre-drilled tank (built in overflow). They are much easier than dealing with the hang on pre-filter and overflow boxes.

Back
Top Bottom