Need help chosing a protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BIG L A

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im new at this salt water hobby ... just set-up my 120 gallon and dont know which protein skimmer will do the job

Welcome to the site!
I'm not a skimmer guy but you do get what you pay for. The off brands are, well, off.
I have heard great things about Aqua C Remora, ASM, but I would wait for better experience to guide you.

I have a 120g tank with an ASM G4X on it, of course I also have a 55g frag system plumbed in as well. Check out the Octopus line of skimmers they are excellent and not as expensive as some. Another option is Euro-Reef they have a very good rep and excellent customer service. I would suggest a skimmer rated for at least 200g just to cover all your bases. Companies tend to "over rate" their skimmers so going a little bigger doesn't hurt.

I have an ASM GX-1 for my 72G and I am very happy with it. Very easy to set up and empty. I think it's worth checking out!

I currently have a Vertex in-sump skimmer. It works pretty good, and pulls out all kinds of gunk. It has a nice powerful motor with a bubble plate that makes tremendous working foam. It makes a bit of noise through the air pipe so I made a muffler for it. Took a piece of scrap aquarium foam, then wrapped it around the air tube, then put an old water bottle over it so that the foam was sticking out of the mouth of the bottle. That quieted the sucking noise a lot.

Thanks Guys
Ive been looking into these options ... All your input has been good especially for a newb

I havent started my reef tank yet however I have a reef octopus 120. It fits underneath my stand and also these skimmers come with pumps that fit underneath...Most fit underneath I think however you have to buy the pumps separate. The skimmer also is easy to remove the collection cup and also has a drain nozzle that you can plug and unplug if you want to collect that way. Simple set up. Just waiting to see how it works...

Guys once again thanks a lot ... I have went with an Aqua medic protein skimmer ... And the decision was based on price ... But I will be upgrading when I have more knowledge on the subject ...

Back
Top Bottom