need help chosing a RO/DI unit please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wally

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm tired of buying distilled water every week and then taking the empties to be recycled, I've decided to install an RO/DI system in the basement.

I really need an education first on why one brand is better than another and why would I spend more for a 65 GPD over a 35 GPD Ill never need that much at once.

Any thoughts or input would be great thanks in advance.

There are many different brands out there and they all pretty much do the same thing. Most of them will give you clean water. IMO, the Aqua FX units are top of the line for two reasons. 1) You get inline TDS meters and pressure gauges standard on most of them...these are expensive options on other units if they are available at all. 2) They are made right here in the US and have an excellent tech support staff to handle any problems you might have with installation or use.
The Aqua FX units also have a full size DI cartridge instead of the smaller inline DI filters than many of the cheaper units come with.
Why get a larger one? Several possible reasons...the larger unit allows you to add drinking water without worrying about running out every time you use it. It gives you faster recovery time and the RO membrane will last longer. If you decide to add more tanks, you'll have the RO/DI capacity to support them. While I can't speak for everyone else, the difference on my site between a 50gpd and 100gpd is only $20...not really much when you consider you are doubling you capacity. JMHO.

Yes, that is the one I would recommend for a use with a reef tank. The Dolphin doesn't have a DI chamber and the Mako, although it's a really nice unit, goes a little beyond what you really need IMO.

Back
Top Bottom