Need help, FAST!!! New 125 gallon, what lighting/what cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

20 20

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm almost done getting all the equipment for my new 125 gallon tank, and still have to decide on the lighting, but I dont' want to spend too much. (Doh, why am I considering a reef tank then!).

So. I've read a bunch of threads/forums, and am still confused. Can someone point me in the right direction on what type of hood/lighting I should get, in the 'less expensive' range. No canopy, too much money. For fresh water, it's simple. The standard glass canopy/top with strip lights. But for a reef? Can I use the standard glass canopy with high powered strip lights? If so, what type? I'm so confused! HELP!!!

I dont even have glass on the top of my tank anymore, though if that is a problem someone let me know.

*I am going to build a canopy one day.

midol said:
I dont even have glass on the top of my tank anymore, though if that is a problem someone let me know.

*I am going to build a canopy one day.

I think most say dont seal the top b/c it traps in alot of heat. At least that was what I was told and makes alot of sense.

I think most SW lights that are good for coral are $$. Even ones for my 10g are pretty expensive. But I guess expensive is relative to your wallet size. :?

IMO if you are planning on doing reef. I would go with a minimum of (2) 250W metal halide retrofits. This is if you are serious about building a canopy to house these in.

You must first decide what types of animals you want to keep in your reef. If you are interested in soft corals and some LPS corals you can get by with CF or VHO lights. I would ditch the glass covers so you get better light penetration. If you are interested in SPS, clams or high-light anemones you should consider MH with CF or VHO actinic supplements. Either way, this is not going to be very cheap. Lighting is the most expensive part of a reef tank (as I am sure you are figuring out). As John mentioned, buying retrokits will save you money if you can install them yourself.

lando covers it well..
I have 2 icecap ballests and run 2 vho bulbs on each for a total of 4. 2 actinic and 2 super actinic bulbs URI brand. I have soft and lps with good growth.
remember what ever you chose your ELECTRIC BILL will go UP and UP!!! 8O

Back
Top Bottom